Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Curly Confusion

Curly-haired-women confuse my husband. Why? Because he doesn’t understand how one day they can have curly hair and one day they can have straight hair. We go through this type of conversation on a weekly basis:

Frank: “Who’s that girl on the cover of US?”
Elsa: “It’s Kristin Cavalleri.”
Frank: “But she’s curly-headed. I though she was straight-headed.” (This is what he calls this phenomenon.)
Elsa: “Well she just dried it differently. She probably has naturally curly hair.”
Frank: “I didn’t even recognize her. I don’t get.”

Whether it’s Kelly Ripa, Katie Couric or Katie Holmes, he’s perplexed. He even has to deal with the issue in person:

Sometimes Thea looks like this:



And sometimes she looks like this:



Frank often asks, “How does she do that?” And one time he even went as far as to say, “Just once I’d like to see Thea right after she gets out of the shower…what does it look like then? Is it curly or straight?”

Um, excuse me? Did my husband just try to trick me into letting him see another woman naked? I’m not falling for that one again.

And just when he thought he only had to face the issue outside of the home, I started to forgo the blow dryer. And Little Orphan Annie, I was curly-headed too!


Okay, I'm more “wavy-headed” but still…



Frank doesn’t like it. Probably because my curls are more Tanya than Temple (as in Harding and Shirley, respectively). But maybe I could get some tips on how to maximize them from Kristin Cavalleri. And no, Frank, that doesn’t mean you get to see her naked.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will has this same problem and I just learned of it. The other day he referred to a friend as "the-formally-curly-haired Maureen". (As if Maureen isn't an unique enough name, he had to throw in the extra description.) Come to find out he had seen this very curly haired friend at mass with straight hair and thought it was a permanent thing. He was even seemingly sad when he explained she had straightened her hair...forever.

Writinggal said...

Maybe we could send them to a workshop where they review pics of all these girls with different hair styles. The boys would have to shout out, "Maureen!" and "Thea!" and "Mary Kate and Ashely Olsen!" for some yet-to-be-determined prize.

Anonymous said...

I always get that reaction when I let my hair go "natural", and someone sees it for the 1st time. They had know idea I had natural wavy hair. With a little product you can avoid the Tonya Harding look. I like to use a product called "Curls Rock".
My ex-boyfriend you to call that my frizzy hair. He did not understand that curly does not =frizzy, just sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Boys love the word frizzy! What's up with that? They totally can't grasp the negative conotation.

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I left out an 'n' up above. Hate that.

Anyway, also wanted to add that I will not be inviting Frank to join me post-shower.

ReadBecca said...

I thought Thea was two different people for a while too, but then again it was when book club first started and we drank a LOT more.