Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Buggin'

I’ve always believed that a true sign that you live in the ghetto is the abundance of grocery carts.

Now that’s my neighborhood.





It started with just one cart. Frank said to me one day, “So what are we going to do about this grocery cart at the entrance of the neighborhood?” I told him, “I guess we could push it back to Kroger…” Problem: we’d look like the people who originally brought the grocery cart to the neighborhood.

So one day we were heading home and we saw what we thought was the cart a little bit further down the road. “Look. The cart moved,” Frank said. We were pleased that someone had at least tried to take it back to Kroger. But then when we arrived at the neighborhood entrance, we saw that the original cart was still there.

Then somebody obviously got the brilliant idea to merge the two carts together. Now they sit there, consolidated, as if they’re in the cart corral at the grocery store. Hey, why don’t we just start a whole line of them right there? That way, when we have to go to the grocery store (or move houses), they’ll be right there waiting for us. People will knock on the door of the house closest to the carts and ask, "Do you have any of the little baskets? I'm just picking up a few things."



I mean, this is the ultimate in shopping cart betrayal. I’m not sure who’s worse now—the lazy people who won’t take back their carts or the thieves who actually steal them. So whaddya think? Should I push them back to Kroger? It’s less than a mile away. Maybe I could do it in the middle of the night when nobody could see me. Or maybe I could get the homeless man who lives in our neighborhood pool to help me. I guess having stray grocery carts isn’t the ONLY sign that you live in the ghetto.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should let the people at Kroger's know that their carts are down the street.
Some grocery stores have mechanisms on the carts, that will not let them be pushed beyond the parking lot of the store.
When I lived in Galveston, you would walk into Gerlands and there would be no carts at all. They had a truck that went around the neighborhoods to collect the carts people took home!!

Anonymous said...

I'd call Kroger and see if they can take care of it.

Jessi said...

Move.
:)

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Atlanta, the worst offender was the retirement condo next to our apartment complex. Crazy old people weaving up Peachtree with buggies! And then leaving them on the street outside their building! Of course, people frown upon yelling at old people so I refrained.

Writinggal said...

All good suggestions. I really wanted to move them myself (for the sake of creating humor for the blog) but in the end, I went with Jacquie's suggestion and called Kroger. They say they're sending someone to pick them. We'll see!

Esther Avila said...

We have a couple of orphan carts near our home - I hate it. I mean, whoever does it, leaves them on the side of my house, next to my fence. I used to joke around that I had gone grocery shopping but then some children heard me and next thing I know, their parents called to ask me not to leave them there. I laughed and said I was joking! Really! (turns out they were kidding too but it sure worried me for a few seconds -- what if they REALLY thought I did it?)

Unknown said...

Suggest trying CartSnap!(http://www.cartsnap.com)