Search This Blog

Friday, May 26, 2006

For the Birds

We’ve been enjoying the speakers Frank added to our deck and you know who else is enjoying them? A family of birds.




When we first spotted the nest Frank said, “How long do you think they’ll stay?” I said, “I guess until the babies are born.” Frank said, “So nine months?”

Obviously we had a lot to learn about birds. Here's what we know now:


-Birds are born faster than humans

-In the category of movement the score is baby birds =1, baby humans = 0. Baby birds start flying days after they’re born and baby humans…well, they never fly but I’m pretty sure they don’t even walk for at least a year.

-Mama birds don’t like people to come near their nests nor do they like being photographed.

-In the category of craftiness the score is Mama bird = 1, Elsa = 0. Did you see that nest? And she doesn’t even have opposable thumbs.

-There doesn't seem to be a daddy bird. So Mama bird is a single mother. You go, Mama bird!

-The whole bird family prefers Jamie Cullum to Coheed and Cambria

So far it’s working out fine with the bird family living out there. But if they stay much longer I’m pretty sure Frank is gonna start charging them rent. I hope he gives the single mama a break. I like her taste in music, home décor and the kids don't seem to be brats. As far as I'm concerned they can stay forever...as long as they don't bring any of that bird flu around.

3 comments:

Esther Avila said...

I ran across your blog and am enjoying it. Love the story about the little birds. :)

Anonymous said...

I learned about birds too just a couple weeks ago on one of my walks. I stopped to talk to a little bird and the mama came by and popped me on the head and said, "Keep walking and leave the baby bird alone." Scared me and I avoid that spot on my walks.

Jessi said...

Boy birds, no good!