Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Operation: Fiber-Up Frank…A Soluble Saga


It’s not looking good for Frank and his fiber. After four mornings of Kashi, he’s given up. Yep, he’s back on the wagon—back on the Poop Tarts. We must stop him!

He says the Kashi made his tummy hurt. I interviewed a dietician yesterday for an article I’m working on and I thought I’d throw in some questions about our friend, Kashi. (I also threw in some blueberry queries too: ‘Aren’t they the best?’ She agreed.) When it came to Kashi she had this to say: “That’s a great choice. Just remember it has a lot of insoluble fiber so you’ll need to balance that with soluble fiber.” Ah-ha! That’s why Frank got the belly aches. He’s all insoluble!

But then…a soluble solution: I shared this fiber finding with Tips from Thea and she had a little tip (natch). Apparently she takes these fiber chews (like candy) and gets four grams of the soluble stuff through that. TfT, please tell us the name of those chews on the blog today so we can all go out and get them. I can definitely convince Frank to eat candy!

Problem is, Frank still has the fear of Kashi so I need to find him a new breakfast food. We’re out of Poops as of today and sorry, Kellogg’s, I just won’t buy them anymore. What we need is something similar to Poops but healthier and fiberyer. Anybody got any ideas? I’ll buy something today and then report back right here on the blog.

It’ll be like a Fiber Soap Opera. No, a Fiber Telenovela (except with less attractive characters, lame accents and a dull, somewhat disturbing premise involving digestion). Please join us next week for “Franco, el Hombre de Fibra”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get your soluble fiber through beans (love the black beans), fruit (eat an apple at your desk), veggies, and whole grains (how does he feel about oatmeal?).

How about making some bran muffins? That way they're portable like a pop tart and will supply fiber from the bran and you can even add blueberries for those antioxidants or apple for that soluble fiber.

Writinggal said...

Thanks, Tips from Tricia! I think he thinks oatmeal is too mushy...but I love it. Bran muffins may be an option--except I'll need to buy them, not bake them :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Writing gal you could spend your morning tied the kitchen or you could send him off with Fiber Choice, 4g of soluble fiber that's also sugar free. I just love those fruit flavors.

www.fiberchoice.com

Anonymous said...

Try the steel cut oatmeal. It hasn't been processed as much so doesn't get mushy like instant oatmeal and is better for you. McCann's makes some that is right next to the Quaker Oats oatmeal at Kroger.

Oprah likes the steel cut too.

Writinggal said...

Thanks for the fiber tips, Thea. I'm going to pick some up at Wal-Mart today.

Shhhh...Frito Lay and Quaker are owned by the same company...but we may go for this steel stuff since our friend Oprah likes it. Just gotta keep it on the DL.