Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Fred, my First Love






When I was 12, 13, 14 and many ages beyond that I had this mad crush on Fred Savage. I know, it’s weird. While most of my friends liked Kirk Cameron, the two Coreys and NKOTB, I was lusting after this short, slightly pudgy loser. He was more like ‘Aw” cute than ‘I-wanna-paw-you’ cute. But I totally dug him.

And it wasn’t like I just kinda liked him. I was obsessed with him. I’m talking posters all over my walls, tributes on my book covers and frequent mentions in common conversations. I remember being at a slumber party one time and bringing him up. Another girl said, “Oh, I like him too.” I was so excited that someone else saw in Fred what I saw that I immediately started talking my crazy Fred talk to her: “Oh, and do like it when he wears his green jacket? And when he gives it to Winnie Cooper? I’m so jealous of Winnie Cooper! I wish he’d kiss me, sitting on a big tree trunk like he did her..” The girl was like, “I don’t think I like him as much as you do…”

My best friend Amber had her sights set on boys we actually knew. That’s probably because they had their sights set on her too and I had to settle for my Fred fantasy world. I remember her mom even saying to her: “Amber, you don’t need to be liking boys at school yet. You should like boys on TV shows…you know, like how Elsa likes Fred Savage! That’s normal!” At least someone thought my infatuation was normal. I’m starting to think I was pretty disturbed.

I’m not sure when I stopped loving Fred but I have a feeling I took the posters down earlier than my crush faded. Years later I started wondering what I ever saw in little Kevin Arnold. When my book club brought up the subject of teen crushes they decided I won for weirdest crush. I even beat out Stefanie who was a Menudo-lover!

I hadn’t thought about Fred in years (except on his birthday every year, July 9th) until last night. I caught his new show, Crumbs. Didn’t love the show but you know what? He’s still cute! I think even at age twelve I could foresee that he would turn into a handsome 30-year-old. And ladies, I hate to tell you this, but your Coreys got nothin’ on my Fred.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too wished Fred would kiss me on the big tree trunk- Wonder Years, best show ever on television. You know I find it extremely disturbing how Corey Haim looks these days. He was just so hot- so hot, I named my first cat "Mercedes"- I still have her you know.

Lisa

Writinggal said...

But think of it this way: At least now you have a chance with Corey Haim. Fred is way out of our league.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with Menudo?

Anonymous said...

Ben Savage grew up to be pretty cute too. Did I just say that out loud? Topanga's going to kick my butt.

Writinggal said...

And everybody thought Amber looked like Topanga. Hence why non-fictional boys liked her.

Liz said...

HA! Frank, you're funny.

Writinggal said...

Frank, Cookinggal doesn't let you get pudgy. But the rest is eerie.