Search This Blog

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Why Ashlee Simpson Rocks

Stop it. Stop thinking, “That stupid girl who lip sang on SNL.” The poor girl had acid reflux or tonsillitis or gastro bypass. I’m not sure. But it shouldn’t be the ONLY thing people think about her. Why? Because she rocks.

If you don’t think she rocks it’s probably because you haven’t listened to her first album, Autobiography. I got the Bug because of it. When I was test driving the car, her song, “Pieces of Me” came on the radio. I said, “This is my favorite song! This is a sign that I have to get this car.”

Then when we went to try to get a CD player installed we kept hearing things like, “We put CD players in every kind of car except 2003 Volkswagen Beetles” or “We can put an MP3 Player in your car.” I’d whine to Frank, “But I just want to play my Ashlee Simpson CD!”

So when I finally got the CD player that’s the first CD I popped in. The songs are beyond catchy. They’re rockin’ and even a little bit heavy.

When people wonder why Ashlee’s albums have sold more than Jessica’s (even though Jessica has a traditionally better voice), I tell them that it’s simple: Ashlee has better songs. Plus it’s like comparing cell phones and calculators (two random things sitting in front of me). They’re nothing alike. It ends at the last name. Really, if you’re going to make a comparison, I would say Ashlee’s style is more Avril or Pink. She’s no Duff. Or Lo. And that’s a good thing.

And now she’s done it again with her new album, I Am Me. Check out the newest single, Boyfriend, which was featured on Laguna Beach Monday night. I’m totally dancing right here with my cell phone and calculator.

Sure, she’s got her flaws: A creepy ex-youth-minister dad, an overexposed sister and one of those names that should be normal but the spelling’s all cutesy. But if you take all that away you’re left with some great tunes.

The best way to enjoy it is driving around in the Bug with the top down. So come on over and I’ll give you a ride. Oh, don’t worry. We’ll totally turn it down when we get to a stoplight. I don’t want everyone to know I like that SNL screw-up girl.

4 comments:

ReadBecca said...

James Blunt is my new obsession. I think I heard him on Veronica Mars or something.

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's my creep ex-youth-minister you're talking about! Watch your mouth. Just kidding, he is creepy.

Writinggal said...

Hey, I bet if you ask, Joe will turn you into a pop star too, Thea!

Liz said...

I think the main other thing that the Simpson Sisters have in common is the hideous, deformed, grotesque faces they make when they sing. I throw up in my mouth a little bit when I watch them.