Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Oprah for President

This weekend we were talking about the wonder that is Oprah and Aunt Marilyn suggested that she run for president. I agree. Why?

Let’s focus on the issues:

Crime:
Oprah just caught three sexual predators who had eluded the authorities for years. It took her a couple of days.

Poverty:
Oprah found a place outside of Chicago that was so poor they had no running water, no garbage service and the people were living in filth amongst rodents. The problem? They didn’t have their own zip code so they didn’t get these services. She brought attention to it so the state government would too.

The Economy:
Hello? She’s CEO of a huge enterprise and is one of the richest people in the country. I think she knows how to help us make money.

The War in Iraq:
Oprah is so persuasive I bet she could talk some sense into those insurgents.

Natural Disasters:
She got all of Hollywood to come help her with Katrina recovery and is building all kinds of houses.

The Environment:

She just did a show with Leonardo DiCaprio about the evils of global warming. I now unplug my cell phone charger when I’m not using it. Thanks, Oprah.

State Dinners:
Come on, it’s not all about the bad stuff. She’ll have to entertain too. Did you see her segment on holiday parties with the pomegranate martinis? They’re sweeping the nation.

A Supportive First Lady:
Steadman would make a terrific first lady—always keeping quiet but helping where necessary.


A Brilliant Cabinet:
She’d have all the best people around her: Gayle, Dr. Phil, Nate the decorator, Bob the trainer, Rachael Ray for parties and Kirstie Alley for, uh, dancing?


Good speeches:
If Oprah were president I think I would actually tune in for the state of the union address. Word to the wise: turn it on about ten minutes into it after all the clapping, cheering and crying has calmed down.


I don’t think we’ll be quite ready in 2008 but let’s start encouraging Oprah for 2012. We can all get these bumper stickers that say “O, the President.” Sure, it’ll be a big salary reduction for her and the living conditions probably aren’t up to her standards. But I think Oprah will be able to get past all that and help this country come together. And if nothing else good comes out of it, at least we might all get free cars.

____________________________________________________________________



Apparently, Aunt Marilyn wasn't the first to think of it!

Oh, no. I share this opinion with Michael Moore!

8 comments:

ReadBecca said...

I love Oprah. If I ever get famous for anything, the only in-depth interview I'll give is to her. She rocks!

Writinggal said...

Speaking of interviews, don't miss Oprah on David Letterman on Thursday! I always wanted those two to get along.

Liz said...

I think it would be quite fitting for Oprah to be both the first African-American AND Woman as president. She would be TIGHT.

Anonymous said...

If Michael Moore is for it... I'm against it! Sorry Elsa!

Anonymous said...

i missed the show on global warming - what does my cell phone charger have to do w/ it? I want to help too!!

Writinggal said...

Jacquie: Oprah is so popular that she even attracts weirdos. At least all the Michael Moore lovers will vote for her! Including Leo...see more below.

KC: Basically, Leo says we shouldn't keep things plugged in that are using electricity when we don't need them. So your charger is always "charging" even when your phone isn't plugged into it. What a waste! I think we're supposed to unplug the toaters too but I'm kinda confused about that.

Jessi said...

I agree with Jacquie.

I unplug my toaster but not my cell phone charger. I also leave my monitor on too. I guess I'm bad.

If Oprah was president I hope she'd still do her favorite things, but for all Americans! If not, she'd have a scandal on her hands and Michael Moore would lead it.

Anonymous said...

Now I have a good excuse for unplugging everything. Not just that I think it is a fire hazard.

Go Oprah, and Leo!