Search This Blog

Monday, November 07, 2005

Those Cows are Right

Whenever Sunday comes around, I inevitably get a craving—Chick-Fil-a. But it’s not open on Sundays. Because of God. Or is it a marketing ploy? See, since I crave it on Sunday, I’m sure to have it sometime later in the week just because I can’t have it that one day. Kinda like Girl Scout Cookies. If I could have them all year long I’d probably never buy them. But since they’re limited, I stock up. I think this has something to do with supply & demand which my mom (an Economics teacher) is always babbling about.

And not only do I love the food at Chick-Fil-a, I also love the service. The people there really care. My friend Stefanie worked there in college (or was it high school?) and she had the best experience. They even gave her a scholarship. They’re friendly, religious and generous!

But back to the food: I love me some Chick-Fil-a chicken sandwich, the waffle fries, the lemonade, the salad (yes, even the salad!), the fruit cup, the grilled sandwich, the wrap. Oh, not all in one meal! That’s just my fave items on the menu.

Frank and I used to rendezvous at Chick-Fil-a every Tuesday back in 2000-2001. That’s when they had “Two for Tuesday.” It was buy one combo meal, get one free. A feast for two on $5! A Simcik Fairy Tale. We would email about it during the day with romantic messages like, “Can’t wait for CFL tonight!” It really got me through the day. They even started recognizing us there. I mean, we were those people who got asked, “The usual?” We knew the manager by name: Jimmy Taylor. Wonder what he’s doing now. Probably giving out college scholarships. What a guy.

Sometimes I would pick up Chick-Fil-a and bring it to Frank’s apartment. If he wasn’t home yet I’d wait in the car for a little while. Me, alone with all those waffle fries! I had to make up rules for myself: “Okay, Elsa, you can have one waffle fry every two minutes…okay, it’s been one minute and forty seconds, you can have a little one. Just a little one!” And if he took too long I would just eat all his fries, rationalizing that he deserved it for being so late.

Here’s a tip I learned this weekend: We went to Chick-Fil-a with our friends Courtney and John and Courtney got the kid’s meal. They never eat as much as Frank and me so we always feel like savages. Well, especially Frank who wiped his hands on his shirt because he didn’t have a napkin. But that’s beside the point.

What we learned is that if you give back your kid’s meal toy, they give you a free ice cream cone! Courtney didn’t really even want it. And John only half-heartedly took a lick! Frank and I were bursting with excitement over this freebie as we dug into John’s unfinished fries.

I haven’t found a Chick-Fil-a lately that has Two for Tuesdays but if you hear about one in the DFW metroplex, (really, anywhere! I’ll go to Burleson, White Settlement, Texarkana) let me know. Then I’ll invite everyone to meet me there on a Tuesday night. You won’t get a lot of notice or a lot of details. Just look for the email that says, “Can’t wait for CFL tonight” and you’ll know what to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss Jimmy.

Writinggal said...

Me too! Remember when we were having lunch there and he helped deliver that baby?

Jessi said...

Wow! Delivered a baby at CFL? That's some powerful chicken. Or was it the waffle fries?

Writinggal said...

Jimmy Taylor is the powerful one. Although I couldn't finish my waffle fries after that.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if anything could keep me from finishing waffle fries!
Very excited that a new CFL is being constructed by my office.

CFL rules!