Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wine Snob

I've become a wine snob. I never wanted to be one because it's a habit that leads to three things I don't like:






--Spending lots of money




--Gaining weight




--Cluttering up my house








But I realized that's just what I've become after two events took place:








1. I started to dislike my favorite wine, Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's. I was fine drinking TBC at home and even serving it to guests but when I'd try other wines that cost more than $2.50 at other people's homes I'd say, "Wow! This is what I've been missing?"








2. Last night I actually SENT BACK wine. I've never done that before. I've seen people do it and thought, "Oh, what a wine snob. Just give me some Two Buck Chuck and I'm happy." But last night (at Pappadeaux for Fat Tuesday where I guess I should have been drinking a hurricane instead of wine anyway), I ordered their cheapest red. The guy filled the glass up really high but after the first sip I looked at the tall glass and thought, "How am I gonna drink all this? It has no taste." So when he asked if we'd like anything else I asked if I could upgrade to a better wine (of course after consulting my friends to see if this was crazy rude or not). The new wine he brought me had a bite to it. That's what I need. A bite.








And back to TBC: Not only does it have no bite, it kinda tastes like Kool-aid. It's too bad because I used to buy the stuff by the case.








From now on I'm only buying wine over $3.00 a bottle. And no more jugs, boxes or giant bottles. If that makes me a wine snob, I can't apologize.








But it's not like I'm getting a wine cellar or anything. You won't catch me sticking my nose way down into a glass. I still don't know the difference between a pinot grigio and a pinot noir. And I only avoid Merlot because that guy in Sideways said so.






I do know the names of some reds and some whites. And I recently learned which glass is for which color. I guess I'm more like a middle-class wino.


Here's an old pic of me with Cul de Sac Carrie, another middle-class wine snob.



And here's an oldie but goodie that Cul de Sac Carrie sent me after reading this blog. Ah, pizza and wine.

Now what am I gonna do with all this TBC?







3 comments:

Liz said...

I'm so excited for you! Congratulations and welcome to the middle class.

XO
upper middle class wine snob

heatherc said...

I used to love TBC. But I grew tired of the headaches after only one glass...

Kristin said...

Now I do not feel so bad for buying regular wine bottles. I agree if it gives you headaches, you gotta move up the wine ladder!