Search This Blog

Monday, February 09, 2009

A bakinggal success story

At the risk of turning this into a food blog, I have to share with you some baking success I had this weekend:

My mom, who’s visiting, had a recipe for the “Ultimate Chippers,” some awesome cookies. They involve three different kinds of morsels. What’s not to like?

We made them on Saturday and when Frank tried them he said, “How did you do it? What did you do differently?” (referring to my past baking disasters).

“Well, my mom helped,” I admitted. Okay, she pretty much made them all but still, I’ve got some baking secrets that I can pass down to future generations (or just blog readers):

--don’t grease the cookie sheet
--put it on the middle oven rack and even move them if you have to
--take them out when they’re not quite done
--Take them off the baking sheet after a couple of minutes and put them on cooling racks

You probably knew all these things but this last one was new to me. I mean, not “new” because I read it all the time on recipes. I just choose to ignore it. Why am I such a rebellious baker?

Not anymore. Not after tasting the Ultimate Chippers. From my obedience came the reward of soft, non-burnt cookies! And with their mix of white, dark and milk chocolate morsels, they just ooze deliciousness. It’s like a chocolate trifecta!


And with that, I give you the Ultimate recipe, courtesy of Writinggal’s mom’s friend from church:

Ultimate Chippers
Makes about 6 dozen cookies.
Ingredients2-1/2 C. flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 C. butter or margarine, softened

1 C. packed light brown sugar

1/2 C. granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 T. vanilla

1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 C. milk chocolate chips

1 C. vanilla milk chips (same as white chocolate!)
1 C. chopped pecans

Instructions:
Heat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium howl. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat until well blended. Stir in chips. Stir in pecans. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let cookies stand on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.


Instruction from Writinggal: Immediately give away three dozen and freeze another two dozen. Try not to eat the dozen you have left in one sitting.

1 comment:

Granny Jo said...

Thank you, Grandmother Liz for a great recipe! Does Nana have some competition? I didn't know Elsa had "wire racks" in her kitchen. Did you really put some in the freezer? If so, save some for me when I visit next month. Love, Granny Jo