Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I’ve Seen Sack Lunch. And it stars Renee Zellwegger.




I’ve told you before that I don’t always pick winners when it comes to movies.

So when we discuss what to rent, Frank says, “I bet you want to see Sack Lunch, don’t you?”

I defend all my RomComs, saying they’re not Sack Lunch; sometimes they’re even witty. I really, really liked “Because I Said So” with Mandy Moore. And I’d see “He’s Just Not That Into You” all over again. Ooh, and “The Holiday” with Cam, Kate, Jack and Jude? Loved it.

Last night I saw “New in Town.” It had all the makings of a great flick: it starred Renee Zellwegger and Harry Connick, Jr. It was about a high-powered executive woman who is sent to Minnesota to run a food-making plant. Oh, and she lives in Miami. So natch, it’s gonna be hilarious when this sun-loving, convertible-driving, ball-busting lady goes to cold Minnesota to live amongst the northern losers who say, “Don’t cha know?”

And did I mention Harry Connick, Jr. is in it?

It was so bad it was like watching a high school play…no, it was more like a junior high play. Like when Renee first gets to Minnesota and this scrapbooking lady starts asking her questions about if she’s married and then asks, “Can I ask you a personal question?” Renee says, “Um, isn’t that what you’ve BEEN doing?” in a total valley girl voice.

As I watched this scene, I think I could hear her Oscar dropping his head in shame.

I only made it about 45 minutes into the film, so it’s possible it got better. But I doubt it.

I’m not sure how someone like Renee would get mixed up in a movie like this. Doesn’t she have her pick of scripts? And it’s not like the location was a big draw.

This was a bigger disaster than marrying Kenny Chesney. At least he has a house on an island where it’s warm.

So the lesson here: if I say, “That movie looks cute,” watch out. It might just be Sack Lunch, don't cha know?

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Ha! I knew it! Mostly because they were advertising this movie on buses here in the Twin Cities. And I've never seen a movie advertised on a bus here.

Writinggal said...

You might have to check it out...just to see if it's accurate. You betcha!

Liz said...

o.m.g. I watched this movie last night, too!!! I commented on it on FB. I thought the making of was interesting because of how dang cold it was. Movie... not so hot.