Search This Blog

Monday, June 22, 2009

Ode to Pimento Cheese




Pimento Cheese, pimento cheese, you’re good cold, warm or warmer
People either love you or hate you and I fall into the former

To me you are a wonderful, delicious cheese spread
I like you on crackers, tortillas but especially on white bread

You’re chunky yet creamy—something peanut butter can’t claim
Other cheeses like cheddar, mozzarella, they’re just not the same

You come in a plastic tub and although I would look like a loon
I’d very much like to eat you with nothing but a spoon

Mrs.Stratton’s, Price’s or Kroger brand, I’m not picky
But fat-free or light PC, well that’s just icky

I love you as a snack but also for breakfast, dinner or lunch
You’re good with jalapeños, lettuce or celery for a little crunch

My grandma in North Carolina eats you nearly every day
Your nutrients and calcium keep her going, come what may

I thank her for introducing us and helping me get to know
the tasty perfection that is you, oh, cheese of pimento

4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Oh I am now so hungry for a pimento cheese sandwich! It has to be on the top 10 list of comfort foods.

Granny Jo said...

And, did Grandma Lib teach you how to write poems or does it just run in the family?

Writinggal said...

I guess a love for poetry and pimento cheese just runs in the family!

Kristin said...

Makes me want to eat a Pimento Cheese sandwich real bad!
Or write a Haiku about PC!