Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009

In Memory of Wally

Wally from Walgreen’s passed away. He was 86. I know I poked fun at him in a previous blog but he was a very nice guy. And he worked really hard. Here are some nice memories of Wally:

Whenever I bought those “Fresh Ink” brand cards and I would accidentally get the square envelopes, he would tell me, “You might want to go back and get the rectangular envelopes because these are gonna cost you extra postage.” I totally appreciated that because I never meant to buy the square ones. And it’s so bizarre that they cost extra anyway.

If he was working at the front register (which is where he always was) and I needed help in photo, he would page someone. Now, the teenage girl who works there just says, “There should be someone there.” And I say, “But there’s not.” And then we go round and round like this until I say, “Could you page someone? And whatever happened to Wally?” And then she tells me he died.

He always knew what was on sale. So if I bought a giant bag of cotton balls he would say, “You know, those are buy one, get one free. Go back and get yourself another!” FREE cotton balls? Now whenever I take off my toe nail polish, I’ll think of Wally.

He loved life. Instead of just saying, “Have a nice day” because he had to, he said, “Enjoy this WONDERFUL day!”

We’ll miss you, Wally. Walgreen’s just won’t be the same.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I remember meeting Wally at your Walgreen's.
He was amazingly cheerful! He will probably be assigned to greet people at the "pearly gates".