Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2009

Actors, please don't sing


I heard an interview with Leighton Meester of TV’s Gossip Girl on the radio last week. She says she’s got an album coming up. I immediately thought, “If I was that girl’s agent, I would tell her to NOT do an album.”

Why? Well, first of all, it has nothing to do with Ms. Meester, who I only know from seeing her pic in US Weekly and think she’s a lovely girl. I’ve never watched GG nor have I heard her sing.

But I know it didn’t work out for Jennifer Love Hewitt. Or Lindsay Lohan.

I remember riding in the car with this girl in college and I asked her what the CD was that she was playing. She said, “Okay, don’t laugh. But it’s Jennifer Love Hewitt.” I did laugh. Something about it just seemed cheesy.

So actors, if you’re gonna make the transition from acting to singing then you gotta do it like Keanu Reeves, Kevin Bacon, Jada Pinkett Smith and Bob the Bachelor. They’re in these sort of underground bands that tour and play in small venues. They treat it like a hobby. Their attitude is like, “I’m mainly an actor but by the way, I’m also in this little band on the weekends.”

Now, Jennifer Lopez may be the exception. She started out as an actress and has had much commercial success with her music. I have two theories about this: 1). She sang in her first movie, Selena and 2). She gives herself a different identity with her music—J. Lo, Jenny from the Block, etc.

My “acting-to-singing-doesn’t-work” theory does not work in reverse. Singers are welcome to become actors. In fact, it’s encouraged. Like Beyonce. Or Jessica Simpson. Hmmm…maybe that’s not a good idea either.

And which one was Hilary Duff first?

Anyway, my point is: stick to what you know. And be happy with the job you got. We don’t need to see your face or hear your voice everywhere. That can even be career suicide. So you won’t catch me buying Leighton Meester’s album. But I might buy a ticket to see Bob the Bachelor in concert.

No comments: