Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Ten for my Torte


Every year around St. Patrick’s Day I make my famous chocolate mint brownie torte. At least every year since 2007.

Here it was on its debut. (I'm not sure why there are chips around it; that's not part of the recipe.)


That was the same night we met Colman Fagan (2 months old at the time). (Exciting side note: Colman and big brother Charlie are getting a baby brother today! I hear they’re not naming him Patrick but maybe they could name him Torte.)

I once made the torte for our anniversary. I bought green food color and wrote “Happy Anniversary” on it. But I didn’t wait for the torte to cool so it looked more like “Haaaaaaaaaapppppppp Avvvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy.”


The torte recipe (which I got from good old Kraftfoods.com) calls for Snackwell’s Mint Crème Cookies. But since I can never find those, I’ve often substituted York Peppermint Patties. (The Kraft people, by the way, get peeved if you write this on their website and will send you a curt email saying that they have ways to help you find the correct ingredients.)

Well the Kraft people would be ultra-angry if they knew what I did to their torte this year. Instead of using the Snackwells or YPPs, I used Girl Scout Cookies! I can’t believe I’ve never thought of this before. It’s brilliant!

Then I took it a step further. I had some leftover frosting (made by Pillsbury which I think is under Kraft) so I threw that on top. I also made it as a bundt cake just because I like to use my bundt pan.



Between the GS cookies and the frosting, I knew I was in for a high score. I mean, my torte is always well received. But this year I got a TEN!

Hurry, before St. Patrick’s day is over, make my torte!


Chocolate Mint Brownie Torte (courtesy of Kraft Foods and Cookinggal):

Prep Time:10 min
Total Time:50 min
Makes:16 servings, one slice each—(Cookinggal comment: Only if you eat guppy-sized bites. It’s more like eight servings.)
1 pkg. (19.8 oz.) brownie mix
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup cholesterol-free egg product
1 pkg. (6 oz.) SNACKWELL'S Mint Creme Cookies, coarsely chopped (Cookinggal comment: or York Peppermint Patties or Girl Scout Thin Mints--the more the better)
Cookinggal comment: chocolate frosting!
Optional but recommended: whip cream




PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Prepare brownie mix as directed on package using 1/2 cup water, the applesauce and egg product. Gently stir in cookie pieces.





POUR into lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. (OR BUNDT!)





BAKE 35 to 40 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Cut into 16 (Uh, EIGHT) slices to serve.

If it doesn't turn out as good as mine, just give 'em some green beer. Then you'll get your ten.



2 comments:

Kristin said...

Looks yummy! Maybe you could dye the frosting green since you make it around St. Patty's Day.

Any word on Charlie and Colmans' new baby brother?

Writinggal said...

Yes! His name is Theodore Augustine and he weighed 9 pounds, 5 ounces. They are calling him Theo. Leo can't wait to meet Theo. Leo and Theo--ha!