Search This Blog

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Putting the ASS back in Assertive



I’m not into resolutions but this year I got one. I’m going to be more assertive. It’s not so much that it’s a resolution as much as it’s something I’ve resolved to do anyway and it happens to be the beginning of a new year when I started it. Okay, fine. It’s a resolution.

I need to be more assertive in two areas: writing and spinning.

With writing, I’ve gotta get tougher on my sources. You see, when you interview people about something they know a lot about (or think they know a lot about), they tend to ramble. Also, they have agendas. So, let’s say, for instance, I was interviewing a doctor about healthy foods that women should eat to prevent cancer. It might go something like this:


WG: I’m doing a story on healthy foods that women should eat to help to prevent cancer. Is there anything that women just aren’t getting enough of in their diet?
DOC: Well, if you really want to know…it’s love.
WG: Yes, I’m sure we’d all agree that love is important but we’re talking about food here.
DOC: If they really want to stay healthy, they need to get a special shower head that filters their water.
WG: Sounds good. I’ll look into that…maybe for another article…
DOC: You said you wanted to help women stay healthy. If you really want to help them then you need to give them all the facts!!
WG: Hey, I’m not trying to save the world here…
DOC: But you are! You have a responsibility as a writer. Thousands of women will read this and think that all they have to do is eat certain foods and they can be healthy but we have to tell them about skin care products and keeping their eyes healthy and flossing and…(six minutes later) the need for companionship and breathing in safe air and…

Oh, did I mention this actually happened? And maybe it wouldn’t have if I, Writinggal, had been more assertive. I just let these people ramble. Sometimes it’s in person and I can’t even hang up on them. I just smile and nod as they back me into a corner, telling me about Stephen F. Austin’s distant cousin’s family: “Then there was James who was born on July 12th, 1842…and then there was…”

WG (sweetly): That is so fascinating but I only have room for 500 words.
Rambler: In that case, do you want to hear about this family who had seven kids?
WG (over-enthusiastically): SURE!!


When it comes to spinning, I didn’t know I needed to be more assertive until the other night.

I was subbing a class and this lady I sort of know approached me. Instead of saying something like, “Hey, good to see. Hope you had a nice Christmas,” she says, “Is this the kind of music you’re going to play?” (referring to my pre-class music). I said, “Well, this CD is a routine I do but it’s not what I’m playing tonight.” She said, “Okay, good.”

2006 Elsa would have said, “Don’t worry; I have much better music for tonight.”

2007 Elsa glared at her and said sarcastically, “I’m sure that no matter what music I play, you’ll get a good workout…if you work hard enough.”

She could see I was peeved and said, “It’s not an insult. I know every instructor has a different style.”

I said, “Right. It sounded like a compliment. Now get your ass on your bike and start spinning!" Okay, I didn't say the last sentence but the whole class suffered because of her.

I’m warning you, do not mess with 2007 Elsa! I’m ruthless. I’ll cut you off when you ramble; I’ll give you the evil eye if you question my spin routine and don’t even think about taking a cupcake away from me. Even 2006 Elsa didn't stand for that.

No comments: