Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Key Matters

I may be wearing my new workout top that says, “THIS GIRL’S NO DUMBELL” but today I might just be one. A dumbell, that is.

Before we left for the holidays I hid my keys. When I was deciding on a good place to hide them I thought about some people down the street who got robbed while they were sleeping. They accidentally left their garage door open and the door to the house unlocked. (Okay, so maybe they were asking for it.) The burglars somehow found the keys to their car and just drove it right out of the garage (packed with a bunch of their stuff, of course).

I thought, “If robbers break in here they’ll have plenty of time to find my car keys so I better hide them somewhere really good.” So I did. I hid them good.

And this morning as I was trying to leave to teach spin I realized that I hid them really, really good.

Luckily, I had a spare car key or else I would have had to do the unthinkable—ride my bike to spin class! That’s just too much biking. And the whole point of spin class is that we prefer to be inside. And it doesn’t require a helmet. Plus, I would have been late.

Now I’m home and I’ve searched in junk drawers, couch cushions, toilet tanks…no keys. If you were a set of keys, where would you be? Better yet, if you were a burglar, where would you look for keys?

So far, 2007 isn’t the stellar year I thought it would be. Take me back to the good old days of 2006 when this girl was younger, had a bulky set of keys with a can of pepper spray attached…and was definitely no dumbell.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe a shoebox, I have hidden jewely in one when I went away before!

Writinggal said...

No luck. But now the burglars know where to look for your stuff!!

Writinggal said...

I'd like to thank everyone for their sympathetic emails and concerned phone calls but I've found my keys.

They were in a drawer in the kitchen (where I had already looked twice) stuffed behind the saran wrap and foil. If a burglar went in there, he/she surely would have cut his hand. Smart.

Oh, and please go ahead and call off the charity car wash that was to help raise money so I could make a new set of keys...unless you want to do it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll get you a fake rock to hide your keys in for your birthday. Or one of those fake campbell soup cans. Hmmm....

Writinggal said...

I wrote this whole comment about hiding car keys in the sour cream and it must have gotten deleted. Anyway, it was funny (as sour cream references usually are).