Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Clothes don't make the Cookinggal

I thought that after a year of being Cookinggal that I knew it all. My mom thought so too and I think that’s why she got me this apron for Christmas:




I’ve worn it, like, every day since. When we flew to Colorado Frank had to tell me I couldn’t wear it on the plane. “But I’m Cookinggal and I want the world to know!” I exclaimed. “I bet I know more than Rachael Ray!” Then he reminded me that RR wouldn’t wear an apron on a plane and I thought that was odd because he never even knows who Rachael Ray is even though I explain this to him all the time. He also claims to not know who K.T. Tunstall is and I know we’ve been over this several times: I start to sing, “Suddenly I see, this is what I wanna be," and when he looks at me blankly I say, "Even Avery knows what I’m talking about!”

Okay, I digress. And I made half of that up.

So when we arrived in Colorado David’s girlfriend Laura (mom to Henry) asked me some cooking questions. Now, Laura knows plenty about cooking so I think she was just being nice since I call myself Cookinggal and all. She’d say, “Elsa, how many sweet potatoes do you think we need for tonight?” and “How long do you usually cook your potatoes in the microwave?”

I so badly wanted to swap potato secrets with her but then I realized, I’ve never done anything with potatoes! Even at Thanksgiving I let my mom take over the mashed potatoes. Throughout the weekend she’d try to engage me in cooking convo but the topics never fell into my knowledge-base. One night she said, “Hey, Elsa…” while she was in the kitchen. I thought, whatever she asks, I am going to know the answer…I have to know this one! But whatever she asked wasn’t anything about pasta, chicken or ground turkey so I didn’t know. I had to come clean: “I guess you’re starting to figure out I don’t actually know anything about cooking.”

By the end of the weekend she was teaching me how to properly cut an orange.

So I obviously am not living up to my apron. But I’m getting close. This weekend I made mashed potatoes. Okay, it was the kind where you use cauliflower instead of potatoes. So they were mashed faux-tatoes. But they were good. I bet they were even better than RR's.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made an awesome bean soup the other night. Keep on cooking!!

Anonymous said...

You are way ahead of me since you cook fish. I have not tried that yet.
You have learned a lot in a short time, so I am sure you will pick up lots of cooking skills.
I got together with the girls to cook the other day, and it was fun, because we were all good at differnt things, so we learned from each other. We are going to make it a monthly event!

Writinggal said...

Hmmm...sounds like "too many cookinggals in the kitchen" for me. Call the fire marshall!

Anonymous said...

Wahoo, I made the blog!

Slicing an orange is just the beginning Elsa! Once you get that down, the rest will all be a piece of cake. . . no bakinggal pun intended :)

Writinggal said...

Frank said the same thing about browning meat!