Search This Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Office Space

Here at Writinggal Headquarters(where again, I do more than just write this blog), I have a nice little set-up: My very own 90-degree-angled desk, a calendar (already set to September because we writers need to look ahead), a brand new dry erase board and a lovely storage trunk for my articles.



In the daytime I get it all to myself but in the evenings I have to share with a co-worker…







He has a laptop and he likes to come in here to check his email. For awhile he would just get a pillow and plop down on the floor. He’d have papers scattered all over the place, sometimes clothes too (how restaurant week of him).

So I made my co-worker his own little work space. I set up two TV trays, a chair and I even got him an inbox for his papers, receipts and who-knows-what-else. But my co-worker chose to defile his mini-office:






He doesn’t even have room to put his laptop on his “desk!” It’s on the floor again! So now he basically uses the TV trays to pile up papers, and he STILL works on the floor in the evenings!






Okay, okay. I could deal with that. As long as he kept it in his area—his cubicle, if you will. But last night he apparently mixed work with adult beverages because I found THIS in my Writinggal trash can!







A beer bottle? Now it was one thing to put it in the bedroom trashcan
but my office trash can? It’s against Writinggal policy to drink at the office (except for on Groundhog Day or other important occasions). I can’t have this co-worker ruining my image, destroying my office space and worst of all, leaving a little bit of beer in that bottle, making it tempting for Writinggal to go on a Thursday morning drinking binge!


My co-worker is lucky that he is so cute or he would definitely be fired.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't he more than a co-worker but the CEO?? Better ease up if you want the items on your future wish list. :)

Anonymous said...

You should look into investing in some cubicle walls and partition your co-worker out of your space. You could get the mushy kind that let you hang fun photos. And maybe a ledge on top so you can put interesting toys and whatnot.

Jessi said...

Or just report him to HR. Oh wait, that's prolly you.

Writinggal said...

CC: He's actually the CFO (I am the CEO) but you're right that he does approve my expenses!

T: Great idea. I was just starting to miss cubes. I've got the perfect Dilbert doll for the ledge.

J: My HR dept. is pretty cool. We don't have a dental plan or a 401K but we do break for Oprah.

Anonymous said...

You could get cubes with cool colors, not just gray like we have!
Of course, it is a big decision to see if he gets a window view or not.
I think since you are not a federal or state institution you can have alcohol on site. Of course that is an individual company policy you have to make!

Anonymous said...

That is sad, I would drink too!!

Writinggal said...

Hey, I'm the one who has to look at this pathetic, restaurant week excuse for a desk all day. Now that's a sad story.

Liz said...

I don't think the CFO gets a new desk if he can't even use the existing desk appropriately. Would that be a good use of the company's money?

p.s. I think the CFO may be ousted soon if the CEO keeps bringin' home the bacon with all her DMN stories. She may take over full ownership of the company. :)

Anonymous said...

From the CFO's Mother:
All I can say is that your CFO has inherited the sins of his Father. I bought file cabinets for all his papers, but they end up on the floor, on the couch -- anywhere except filed!

Writinggal said...

Funny you should mention bacon, I'm cooking a dish in the crock pot right now that involves bacon so the whole house (including my office space) smells of it.

This is the kind of nice thing I do for my messy CFO!