Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Happy Birthday, Blog!





Now let's just get something straight before you start thinking I'm goin' coo-coo bananas with all these one-year/birthday/First Communion celebrations.

On July 25th, 2005 I started freelance writing full time. On August 1st, 2005 I started writing in this blog as a little warm-up to my writing day. See? Two different occasions.

So as my blog's first birthday approached I thought, "What should I get her?" (Come on. Of course she's a girl. She's all pink.)

I asked myself, "What would I want if it was my birthday?"
"A makeover!" I exclaimed. "The kind on one of those reality shows like Ten Years Younger."
But then I said, “Wait a second, Elsa. You look fabulous! Why just the other day you were mistaken for a three-year-old. Sure, your hair’s a little nappy but you’ve got an appointment to get it cut with Tips from Thea for only $15 at a fancy salon. Plus, if you’re going on a reality show, it’s gonna be The Gauntlet.” Then I remembered that I aged out of that. And I don’t think they call it The Gauntlet anymore.

Anyway…back to the blog. I decided that while I was certainly in no need of a makeover, my blog was! So here it is. I’m still working out some of the formatting issues (which I’ll be emailing you about, Jessi) but you get the idea.

I’m hoping that a new template will get me a few more clicks on my ads. When I first signed up Google said that I would get paid once I reached $50. And then when I started getting close to that, they changed it to $100. So how much money have I seen? Wait. Let me dig around in all the check stubs that Google sends me. I think there’s a pile over there…wait…oh, there it is. It’s invisible. I’ve received $0. In fact, after a year of ads on the blog, my total is up to $57.15. At this rate I should get my $100 check by next July. So if you want the ads to go away (which I do), click on them a bunch this week so I can get up to $100. Then I’ll get rid of the ads, take the $100 and throw a huge blog party. Well, a miniscule party but a party nonetheless.

So thanks for reading my blog this year. Hopefully a lot of exciting things will happen in the coming year because I’ve pretty much told you all my stories. And if you’re feeling sentimental, check out the very first Writinggal blog. It’s about how I used to want to be a bus driver. And remember, if you don’t click on my ads, I may have to make that dream come true.

Now the next question is, what am I going to wear for the 23rd anniverary of my First Communion?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! You could just wear the baby shower outfit because that is cute. I'll go click on the ads...

Jessi said...

Yeah! Looks great even without my help :)

Congrats blog!

Writinggal said...

Good idea about the baby shower outfit.

And how 'bout my new pic?

Jessi said...

Are you clapping for your blog?

Writinggal said...

Yes, Hurray!

Anonymous said...

yeah! keep on bloggin' girl... it's my substitute for the morning paper and the only time i get to read like a real grown-up!

Anonymous said...

I like the new picture and format. You are a great writer, keep clapping!!

Writinggal said...

Oh, I feel like Oprah! (with a lot less money)

Writinggal said...

Yes--I've made $4.20 on my blog today! We're getting closer and closer to $100. Now...what to wear to my blog party?