Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

January 24th Sucks

It’s here. January 24th—the most depressing day of the year. I didn’t make this up. It’s like an official conclusion drawn by “them.” Yep, “they” said it, not me. Why is it such a downer?

  • Weather—not only is it cold but there’s no end in sight. Well, unless you live here in Texas and the end is too soon.
  • Credit card bills—remember all the fun you had running from store to store at Christmas time, singing, “Haul out the holly?” Well, you better haul out some money cause it’s time to pay up.
  • NYR: If you’re one of them, it’s about this time that you realize you can’t stick with anything. The plus side? I get my treadmill back.


    I read an article about it this morning. It said, “In a word, Jan. 24th sucks.” I think it’s unfair. Last year they declared 1/24 the most depressing day and part of the equation was that it was a Monday. I thought for sure the title would go to 1/23 this year. But no, they have to pick on the 24th.

    But never fear, they offer some solutions to your blues:

  • Eat different kinds of food like black bean lasagna and mango salad.
  • Keep bright colored objects around your house like yellow throw pillows.
  • Take time to meditate each day.
  • Go on a brisk walk.

    What? So “they’re” saying that eating is going to solve my problem? Isn’t that how we broke the NYR in the first place? And like any of us can go on a brisk walk when it’s freezing outside. Oh and sure, I’d love to invest in some new, bright-colored throw pillows if I had ANY MONEY left after those darn credit card bills.

    I guess all I can do is meditate. Hom…Hom…

    This sucks. Meditating is boring. “They’re” right. This day sucks. I just feel bad for Uncle Neil since it’s his birthday. Maybe I’ll make him a mango salad.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

They had a whole thing about it on GMA this morning. I wanted to say, how can it be depressing if it is ELSA's BIRTHDAY!!

Jessi said...

Happy Birthday!! Sorry yours has to be on an "official" depressing day. But I'm with Kristin.... how can it be depressing, it's your day! (and uncle Neil's too)

Writinggal said...

Well, Jessi, since yours is tomorrow I'm not sure it's much better. May need to pop some Prozacs all week.

Anonymous said...

People are all confused. Yesterday the DMN declared it to be the 23rd. Figure it out people! Am I depressed today or was I depressed yesterday?!?

Writinggal said...

Thea, I think you were depressed yesterday since you were still in your 20's and immature. Today you're 30 and empowered!

ReadBecca said...

I'm having a fabulous day! I sang all the way into work. There's this awesome happy song on my new pretend boyfriend Jamie Cullum's CD. It's called "Mind Trick" and it defies all depressive thoughts. I have it cued up to play when I start my car when I go home. Everyone go download it.

Happy Birthdays to Elsa and Thea!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Elsa! I'm in love with Jamie Cullum too, and have been since I got his first CD as a gift. He is going on tour in the US soon. . . he will be in Austin (SXSW) on March 17. It's worth the drive (or flight)!

Writinggal said...

Man, this Jamie Cullum guy is gonna be bigger than Nelson!