Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2006

Girl Scout Cookie Monster


The other day I said there was no good reason to answer your door. I take that back. I can think of one: if there’s a young girl dressed in a green outfit adorned with badges, holding a sign-up sheet. She’s got the stuff! The tagalongs, the do-si-dos, the samoas and (let’s all bow our heads for a moment) the thin mints.

But now everything’s changed—even the names. I refuse to call do-si-dos “peanut butter sandwiches.” And the price—$4 a box! And their method of selling? Instead of going door-to-door (like I had to do) they just give the list to their parents and they sell it at work.

Now there’s one change that I like. When your co-worker approaches you about making a deal, you don’t just sign up and wait six weeks. You get the stuff RIGHT THEN AND THERE! The poor Girl Scouts now have to project how much they’re gonna sell. I like it now but if I have a Girl Scout of my own one day I’ll be stuck with a bunch of cookies. Hmmm…stuck with a bunch of cookies.

I told Frank to keep his ears open at work. I said, “Be proactive. If you’re in someone’s office and they have a picture of their daughter and she looks like she’s between the ages of 7-12, ask if she’s got the stuff!”

Frank and I strongly believe that this is the single best fundraiser of any organization. We don’t want wrapping paper, raffle tickets or giant tubs of popcorn. We want the stuff. The stuff you can only get once a year. It’s genius!

Last year Frank was at the grocery store and some Girl Scouts were selling the stuff outside. He went up to them and bought a couple of boxes (we had already run out of the stuff at home) and they said, “Thanks for supporting the Girl Scouts!” He replied, “Well, you’ve got a great product.” They were a little confused. But the point is that it’s so awesome that we don’t even think about the fact that we’re supporting an organization—we just want the stuff!

You know, I was pretty good at selling the stuff back in the day. And my parents refused to take it to work (“If I take this then I gotta buy all the soccer stuff, the band stuff and the church stuff.”) But I still sold tons just going door to door. If people said, "Oh, I can't. I'm watching my weight," I would come back with, "Then you should try our low-calorie trefoils!" The year that I sold the most was the year that the cookie mother of our troop had all of the money “stolen” from her car. Lesson here: don’t let a woman who carries a key chain that says “classy bitch” be the cookie mom.

Frank, if you find someone today, tell them I want two boxes of tagalongs, two do-si-dos, one samoas and four thin mints (we can freeze them)! And make it clear to whoever you buy it from that they can be our exclusive dealer from now on, as long as they don’t make us buy any giant tubs of popcorn.

9 comments:

Writinggal said...

I thought Frank would like this. Here is the breakdown of percentage of sales (surprised that Samoas are so high!)

25% Thin Mints
19% Samoas®/Caramel deLites™
13% Peanut Butter Patties®/Tagalongs®
11% Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos™
9% Shortbread/Trefoils

Jessi said...

I don't like the new names either (well I guess they aren't that new). I hated going door to door, but then I loved delivering them. I was the best kid on the block that day.

Tagalongs are my FAV!

Liz said...

Tagalongs are MY fave, too!!! But I am an equal opportunity GS Cookie eater. I love them all. Me, great blog.

Anonymous said...

Who are you kidding Writinggal, you hate selling anything! You never went door-to-door.
I have to get back to my cold calls.

Anonymous said...

My mom was cookie mom one year. Our entire dining room was floor to ceiling cookies. It was beautiful.

My rankings: #1 Frozen Thin mints #2 Samoas and #3 Tagalongs...I like to remove the choc. coating first and be left with the cookie and dollup of PB. Good times.

Writinggal said...

Scott-I don't hate selling; I just hate selling things I don't care about and nobody wants (like advertising space).

Tay: I'm not sure how you get the choc. off first. Do you lick it? Sounds kinda nasty and good at the same time.

Oh, and shout out to my mom--she was also cookie mom one year. She had to follow in the foot steps of "classy bitch."

Jessi said...

The chocolate just peels off from the peanut butter top. That's my fav way to eat them too. So good.

Anonymous said...

Thin Mints are of course the best! I love Samoas, but can finish a box in about 5 minutes.

I always wanted to sell enough cookies to get a pacth for my cool uniform!
I remember a girl in my troop sold over 500 boxes one year, and she got a James Avery charm. How fancy!

ReadBecca said...

No one remembers Camp Fire Girls candy. I was a Bluebird. We had beads on our uniform vests instead of badges. Ah, CFG. Good times.