Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Please note our new hours

Even back when I was first starting Writinggal and I had no assignments, I treated it like a regular job, hoping that it would one day become a regular job. I would get up, get dressed (working in PJs is not productive) and go to work (even if it was just down the hall).

So my work day ended up being your cliché 8:30am-5:30pm. Except Fridays. I don’t like to do a lot of work on Fridays.

And that worked fine for the first three years. But now that I’ve got my second job it’s not going too well. It seems my co-worker in my other job demands more of my attention during that 8:30am-5:30pm time slot.

So I decided to set my alarm for 5:51am and work from 6am-7am. Then for the rest of the day I just work when I can, usually when my co-worker for my other job is preoccupied by napping or batting at toys on an activity mat. (He’s really not all that productive.)

One person said to me the other day, “But since you’re a writer you can work whenever you want. I mean, you could write at 3am if you had to.”

Not true, I thought. For one thing, I usually have to do interviews for my stories. That’s the hard part. And I’ve found that people don’t like it when I schedule them for 3am.

And second, I don’t want to write at 3am!

But I have been doing interviews after 8pm when my coworker has already left for the day. And this morning I did an interview with someone at 6:30am. Maybe I need to find more interview subjects in Europe (for morning interviews). And I’ll go for Asian subjects for my evening interviews...or people on the west coast.

So here are my new hours at Writinggal: 6am-7am; 8pm-9pm and the time between 7am-8pm is by appointment only or random intervals of time that I can sneak in.

Oh, gotta go. My other co-worker has arrived and is ready to get to work!

No comments: