Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Grandma and the Gadgets


I may have banned all texts, shunned instant messaging and recently become frustrated with Face Book, but when it comes to technology, I’m still way ahead of my 85-year-old grandma.

Grandma Lib’s take on…


Computers: “I don’t need to know about them…I’m on my way out anyway.”

The internet: “What do you mean your articles are on the internet? You mean like the TV?.”


Cell phones:
“What’s your new number?”
Me: “It’s the same number.”
“But you moved to Georgia.”
Me: “Right. But since I have a cell phone, I can keep the same number.”
“How can you do that?”
Me: “The same way I’m calling you from the car right now!”


Long Distance Charges: “Why are you calling me in the middle of the day? This must be costing you a fortune!”


Also on Long Distance Charges: “I don’t leave messages. They charge you the same whether you talk to the person or talk to a machine so I’d just rather wait until I can talk to a person.”

On cell phone voicemail: “I called you but instead of you I got some fancy lady.”

Caller ID: “I called you but you didn’t call me back.”
Me: “I didn’t know you called.” “I thought you had a way of knowing who called.”
Me: “I do but only if my phone is turned on. I might have had my phone turned off.”
“What? Your phone was off? Why did you do that?”
Me: “I might have been at the doctor’s office or in a movie or teaching spin class…Then I cut off my phone.”
“Well, I’ve been so worried!”
Me: “Next time just leave a message.”
“I don’t leave messages. You know they charge you the same-”
Me: “I gotta go. It’s the middle of the day so this is costing me a fortune!”

3 comments:

GR said...

It's been 13 years since I replied quickly to Cope's first e-mail to me. He was at the beach and showed it to Grandma Lib. She proclaimed the whole process "magic."

Writinggal said...

I actually still don't understand how email works so it must be magic!

Dad Simcik said...

trying to get google to take my comment soooo frustrating like grm lib technology frustrates me Dad Simcik