Search This Blog

Thursday, September 04, 2014

Coming around to Coffee



You might recall my blog from seven years ago about my coffee confusion. If not, the gist was that I don't understand how to make coffee because, while everyone says it's easy, it's very complicated to me. Then five years ago I wrote about how I wish I liked Starbucks but I didn't. Also, I've never liked how coffee drinkers are all, "Don't talk to me until I've had my coffee." My general stance has been anti-coffee.

So I don't know how this happened but lately I've been dipping my toe into the coffee pool. I guess it started with Starbucks and maybe the fact that they are often in Targets. And Kroger. And basically every corner. I began to figure out that I liked frappuccinos. I mean, they're basically milkshakes. Expensive milkshakes. At first I would say "half caf" and even that would give me the shakes.

But slowly I stopped saying "had caf" and went full on caf. I seem to be handling it okay.

And then there was the time that RaceTrac opened right by my house and they offered 49cent coffee. They had all these fun creamers there so you could totally froo froo up your joe. Mine was practically white. I started getting one of those just about every other day.  But they did raise my heart rate and then RaceTrac raised the price. But still, now they are only $1.19 and to me, a non-coffee connoisseur, they rival Starbucks.

I can think of two more circumstances that propelled me into almost a full-fledge coffee drinker: my friends got me a $50 Starbucks gift card for my birthday. FIFTY DOLLARS? Do you know how long it takes to spend $50 at Starbucks? Not long actually, probably about a month. And then I put that gift card on my phone with the Starbucks app and now I keep reloading it because I'm in the loyalty club and OMG I am one point away from a FREE drink!

Now I still say I am almost a full fledge coffee drinker because there is
one thing holding me back from jumping in with both feet:

I don't like coffee.

Actual black coffee is soooo gross to me; I can barely sip it. And I tried iced coffee and it was second only to hot coffee in yucky-ness. But I DO love the smell and I can see the appeal in waking up and sipping on a hot drink and I love holding it while I shop at Target. Oh, and those Pumpkin Spice Lattes! They're out now for a limited time. Although I did read an article about what's in them ("a toxic amount of sugar") and what's not in them (pumpkin) and that sort of ruined it for me.

So even though I am still in the anti-coffee-camp, I wanted to explain why you might see me at a Starbucks, holding up my phone app like a pro. Don't worry; I'm just getting an overpriced milkshake.


4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

49 cents to $1.19? That's quite a price increase! And I thing Starbucks & Race Trac should each give you a free drink for this blog since you have affirmed their marketing strategy to non coffee drinkers.

GR said...

I'll be thinking about you when I purchase my $.59 refill of Diet-Coke each morning. In a 44 0z. cup, no less.

Liz said...

I'm right there with you. I like the foo foo-ed up coffee but plain old coffee. Yuck.

Writinggal said...

Liz, I thought you were my mom Liz for a second and I thought, "Huh? She LOVES coffee!" But then I realized it was SHE Liz and of course there was the picture.