Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Me and Miracle Babies

I just want to clear something up. I don’t hate miracle babies. Here is how that nasty rumor got started:

Every year Frank and I go to North Carolina for my family’s annual Memorial Day pig pickin’. There are lots of aunts, uncles, cousins and girls who do the splits for exercise there. One of the cousins is a miracle baby. I know this because every time she shows up everyone says, “You know, she was a miracle baby.”

When she was one, I said, “Oh, wow. A miracle baby.”

When she was two I said, “I know. I heard last year. It’s amazing.”

When she was three I said nothing but thought, “Now she’s going to start thinking her name is miracle baby.”

Now the kid’s like nine. They’re still calling her the miracle baby. Now when they say it, I roll my eyes and do you know what Frank says? “You HATE miracle babies.”

And he doesn’t just say it at the pig pickin’. He says it whenever the topic of miracle babies comes up. He’ll say, “Oh, did you say that your friend had a miracle baby? Elsa HATES miracle babies. Can’t stand them.”

Then, of course, I get all defensive and say, “I don’t HATE miracle babies! I love miracle babies! I even have a cousin who is a miracle baby!”

I need to get a picture of that kid to carry around with me. “Hey, look at my cousin, the miracle baby!”

“Um, she’s got braces.”

“I know! It’s a miracle!”

Frank: “Elsa hates her.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe she could just be the "Miracle Child or Miracle Girl" now!
If they just named these children Milagros, no would have to same anything. We would just know they were a "miracle"

Anonymous said...

if you think about it, we are all miracle babies.

Anonymous said...

scott took the words right out of my mouth!

have you seen the halloween pics of my little miracle baby? i'll have to make sure from now on that you only refer to elle as "MB".

I'm totally kidding btw!

Writinggal said...

Good idea, Kristin. Spanish always fools people, especially the MB's.

Scott, you are definitely not a miracle baby.

MB's mom, I did see the pics of Elle, the miracle baby poodle! So cute! It made it hard to hate her :)