Search This Blog

Friday, July 28, 2006

Why Bon Jovi Rocks


It’s been a long time since I’ve done a rockin’ blog (think Air Supply back in March) so I thought it was time for another one. But who’s left? I thought. I mean, I’ve already mentioned all of the great bands and solo artists to ever exist. In fact, my elite list reads like a real who’s who of the music industry:

Nelson

Neil Diamond

Nicole Richie's Daddy

Ashlee Simpson

Strictly Business

R.E.M.

Kelly Clarkson



And the original rockers of the “Why someone Rocks” series…Hall & Oates


Then of course there’s Rick Springfield who gets a big old honorable mention for kinda rockin’.

And let’s not forget MCMC—the rockin’ album otherwise known as
“MariahCareyMerryChristmas.”


So back to today…I was thinking about who rocks and, of course, the first band that popped into my head was Bon Jovi. But, I figured, I’ve already talked about them. Or have I?

“To the archives, Writinggal!” I said to myself and then scrolled through over 250 blog titles (or actually just hit “control f.”). And can you believe it? I’ve written ten rockin’ blogs and not ONE featured perhaps the greatest rock band of all time. That’s not right.

So with that I give you, Why Bon Jovi Rocks:

The reason?

Duh.

They just do. They rock when they’re rockin' (Living on a Prayer) and even when they’re not (Living on a Prayer acoustic version). We even played the rockin’ version of that song when Frank and I entered the reception for our wedding. We were so Tommy and Gina (except for the working at a diner and down the docks and stuff).

Other faves?
Wanted: Dead or Alive
You Give Love a Bad Name
Bad Medicine
Runaway
Lay your Hands on Me
I’ll be there for you
Keep the faith

The hits just go on and on…I mean it…Into today. I love the new stuff just as much as the old like “It’s my Life” and “Have a Nice Day.” And I love the song Jon sings with Jennifer Nettles, “Who Says you Can’t go Home?”

In fact, I don’t have one spin routine that doesn’t include a song from the New Jersey boys.

And besides rockin’, they’re totally nice. Jon is always doing stuff in the community (as evident from his appearances on season 67 of the Real World in Philadelphia) and he and the whole band gave $1 million to Oprah’s Angel Network. And even better? They prove that rock star marriages really can last. Jon has been married to Dorothea for over 17 years.

And Richie? Oh, well, he was married for a long time. He gave it a good try.

And the other guys? Well, I don’t really know who they are. But I figure they rock too. Cause if they didn’t, they’d probably have their six-strings in hock.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next week I'm going to see Rick Springfield, Loverboy, Eddie Money and Scandal. So wish it was Bon Jovi instead.

Anonymous said...

Bon Jovi does rock, I saw him on Oprah and thought that is one cool person with a big heart.

Anonymous said...

Since I flew into Jersey last night this is perfect timing. I will say hi to Jon Bon if I see him.
So jealous Thea, I love Rick and Scandal!

Writinggal said...

Thea's concert is the soundtrack to my spin routines. We love a little "Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy.

As far as the Jersey/Philly thing: Being from Texas it's hard to understand having a lot of love for a city that's not in your state--even if it is close. I mean, we don't love Shreveport.