Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bounce for Breakfast?

Since I buy giant boxes of Kashi at Costco I have to find places to put them. Often I store them in this cabinet in the laundry room. There they sit until I’m ready to bring them into the kitchen pantry.

Today I was ready for a new box so I went to my handy storage space in the laundry room and retrieved the enormous box. Just like every morning I poured my cereal, topped it with frozen blueberries and poured Frank’s kiddie cereal (we’re on Frosted Flakes with 1/3 less sugar now after Frank said, “I like the one with the tiger” and made a clawing gesture and a “grrr” noise).

And just like every morning I waited for my Kashi to soak so it could get a little soggy. (This is especially important with a new box because the clusters are very big at the top.) But unlike every morning my Kashi tasted weird. Was it the tiger cereal? (I sprinkled a little on mine.) Was it the blueberries? Was it the milk? I tasted all separately and found no problems.

Was it…dare I even suggest…the Kashi?

I sampled a cluster of Kashi straight from the box and decided that it did, indeed, taste weird. In fact, the whole box smelled like…like…dryer sheets!!

I love the smell on my clothing, on my bathroom counter and even in the shower but I don’t want it on my cereal! I guess the smell of the new Bounce dryer sheets seeped in as that box sat in the laundry room. Reluctantly, I dumped out my bowl of Kashi and poured myself a bowl of the tiger cereal. Frank said, “And it’s such a big box of Kashi! What are you going to do?” I said I would just put it back in the pantry and hope the smell went away.

But now, as I sit here typing my blog, I can still taste the Bounce. I wondered if I should be worried about consuming dryer sheets. I did some research on the internet. Apparently, it’s not a good idea to eat dryer sheets because they contain these harmful toxins. In fact, many chatters say that dryer sheets are bad news in general (even in the dryer). Something about cancer and other diseases.

So three bad things happened this morning:

  1. My breakfast tasted gross and I had to throw it out.
  2. I found out that my favorite cleaning mechanism may be faulty.
  3. I may be developing a deadly disease.

But on the bright side, I discovered I liked that tiger cereal too. Yes, I’m making the clawing gesture. Grrr.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you will have a little bounce in your step this morning and just roaring to go!! grr
One of the puppies had a dryer sheet this morning and I grabbed it right away before they would tear it up.

Anonymous said...

That is definitely one use of Bounce I had never considered...food flavorer. And I think I'll pass on trying it.

Now, I do like to rub them on my dogs sometimes when they are in need of a little deodorant...

Writinggal said...

When I was researching what would happen if someone ate bounce, all the people were just talking about how their dogs ate them. Oh, and Kelly at the gym suggested that I put the Kashi in a rubbermaid container. I just did that and will see how it smells tomorrow. At least my Kashi won't have static cling.

Liz said...

I wouldn't put the Bounce box in a rubbermaid container.... b/c it'll just lock the flavor in. I'd put the NEXT box that goes in the laundry room into a rubbermaid container to keep the Bounce OUT. :)

Writinggal said...

I was a little scared of that too. But the box and the bag just reek! I'm going to go check it right now to see if it's better. Wish me luck!

Jessi said...

Spray some Oust on your Kashi:)

Writinggal said...

Report: Still tastes dryer fresh.

Anonymous said...

You need to air the kashi out, not rubbermaid it up!

Writinggal said...

But if I leave it out I'm afraid bugs will get it! I may pour some in a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight.

Writinggal said...

It's Wednesday morning. My Kashi is officially Dundies! And what's worse? Kashi Crunch kinda grosses me out now. I think I'll have to try a new Kashi flavor.