Search This Blog

Friday, July 14, 2006

If I were a Rich Girl…Nanananananana

In my profile to the right I say, "It's kinda like the choice between being fat and rich or skinny and poor. These are the types of things I ponder on my blog."

Frank pointed out to me today that I don’t actually ever discuss that on my blog. I don’t? I thought I did. Well, I certainly think about it a lot.

Like today, Frank and I were talking about this new master-planned community that’s going up in McKinney that’s supposed to be all about wellness and healthiness and walking, etc. It’s by our friend, Dr. Cooper (“our friend” because I often interview people at his center for articles plus we toured the place as a possible wedding spot in ’03). Frank said, “Ooh, I bet you’d like to live there.” I said, “Well, apparently everyone would because the houses are pretty expensive!” And there is our first example: If we moved to that neighborhood we would go broke; thus making us poor. However, we could use their walking trails, work out at the state-of-the-art fitness facility and shop at the healthy stores. So that would keep us skinny. See? Skinny and poor.

How ‘bout a fat and rich example?

You have to leave the office for lunch today. You could go to Subway and get one of their healthy subs (watch out for that mayo trick) OR you could go to McDonald’s and eat off their $1 menu. One will cost you $4+, the other, about a buck. If you eat at Subway you’ll be poor and skinny but if you eat at McDonald’s you’ll be rich and fat.

I could go on forever:

Should you buy organic food or regular old processed?
Cookies: fat free or full fat?
Pasta: regular or whole wheat?
Chicken: lean or not-so-lean?

Every time you choose one over the other you’re deciding whether to be skinny and poor or rich and fat.

In my quest to find a way to be skinny AND rich, I have found one example:

Turkey. When you go to buy hamburger meat, choose ground turkey instead. It tastes good. It’s better for you AND it’s cheaper than ground meat! Frank and I have never agreed on a choice at the grocery store until this. We’re trippin’ over these turkey burgers. As we eat them I say, “They’re so good…and healthy!” And Frank says, “I can’t tell the difference between this and ground meat AND it’s cheap!”

Last week at CostCo we bought like eight pounds of the stuff. And I think we’re gonna have to stock up on even more…especially if we move to Dr. Cooper’s skinny/poorville.

4 comments:

Writinggal said...

Now DON'T say that you could get the $1 salad at McDonald's. It's a SIDE salad. You're not gonna get full. Therefore you'll get something else at McDonald's OR you'll pig out later. But at least you'll still be rich.

Liz said...

This is SO what I think about all the time... i.e. do I go to La Madeleine and get a salad or do I go to Wendy's and get a spicy chicken sandwich. Do I get the $9 salad at the restaurant or the $3 nachos? I love it.

AND... it's good that you like ground turkey... one of our new clients is all the ground turkey meat/products. Maybe you could be our new spokeswoman? :)

Anonymous said...

Elsa and I have working at home in common and I like not having to go out to lunch, I like my sandwiches or salads at home.

Writinggal said...

Yes, I would love to be the turkey spokesperson. And if you need me to dress up in a turkey suit I have experience (from dressing up like a Cherry Lime-Aid).

I love eating lunch at home; it means I get to eat THREE lunches. AND nobody says, "What's that?"