Search This Blog

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Friends are Calling "Yoo-hoo!"

It's that time of year again. Time to start thinking about your holiday letter. Oh, you think it's too soon to start an outline or a rough draft? Well, my procrastinating pal, that is why your letter will have the same fate as roasted chestnuts this holiday season.

Preparation is key. And I should know. My holiday letters are legendary. Well, I've only written two but I think I've got a little cult following. Why just last week Will Fagan told me that he really looks forward to getting my letter every year. Poor guy. I might need to send his a little early to lift his spirits.

So what's so great about my letter and so lame about everyone else's? It's very simple. Mine is written in the first person and it's clearly from me. Many letters aren't sure who their author is. I'll show you some examples:

Dear Friends and Family-

This year Sheila and Mark traveled to Iceland to visit some distant family members. We loved learning their quirky Icelandic traditions. Mark is still working on turning our garage into a boxing ring (will he ever finish?!! Just kidding, honey) and I'm continuing to scrapbook. Mark and Sheila also dance in a German folk group on the weekends.

Who's writing this letter? Pick a voice and stick with it. Although first person is preferable. I think it's quite spooky when it's all in third person:

Dear Loved Ones-

A soft sheet of snow lays patiently on Debra and Donnie's house. Donnie shovels it every morning so he can get to his new job as District Manager over all the Marble Slab Creameries in Southwest Ohio. Debra is also enjoying Donnie's promotion as it means she can focus on her dream of being a Pampered Chef consultant and stay at home with daughter Kailee Grace.

Is there some omnipotent perv peeping in on their activities all year long? It's okay if the letter is from one of you. In fact, it's better. Oh, and that was also an example of too much nature in a holiday letter. We don't care about your snow, your leaves that change color or how the air smells. I mean, the paper's not scratch-and-sniff, is it?

Now I don't personally own a dog or a cat so I've never understood the temptation to have a non-human pen my holiday letter. But some people go for that. That's cool but just remember: you're not the first person to think of this idea and you should try to be clear from the beginning that it's from Miss Mittens. Or Bailey. Or the Rileys. Some people like to put paw prints all over the letter. Got any better ideas?

But back to the basics: If you can stick with the first person throughout your letter, you're halfway there. Now all you need is a good-looking photo and some exciting things to talk about. You're on your own with that.

Ah, Christmas is in the air. Can't you just smell it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your letter is my favorite Christmas letter. Well, favorite from a couple because Whitney had a fabulous one last year!

I think Whitney started a whole new trend of single girls being able to write a Christmas letter.

Writinggal said...

That is a good point. The first Christmas after Frank and I met I tricked him into thinking couples who were only dating a few months should send Christmas letters together. Now that's a no-no. But single girls, go for it. And include a picture. It may just fall into the right hands.

ReadBecca said...

I'm going to get drunk and watch Steve McQueen movies on Christmas, as usual. Look for the Holiday Post of Evil on ReadBecca.com!

Anonymous said...

I have to comment on this one too! Whitney's Christmas card was the funniest one I have EVER seen. People read mine on my fridge and wanted a copy... I can't wait till this year. Thea is right! It is inspiration for singles everywhere to send out christmas cheer and laughs!

Anonymous said...

I guess it will be okay for me to write a letter about my boring single life now! Thanks for the tip though Elsa, I will not send out a letter from the point of view of Luna the Shih Tzu. However you can expect her cute little face on your Holiday Card this year.

Writinggal said...

It appears that Whitney's letter has become my primary rival this holiday season. I knew I should have started weeks ago!

ReadBecca said...

I want to see Whit's letter. I didn't know it was so fabulous.