Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Why Neil Diamond Rocks

There was this line in a movie; I think Billy Crystal said it: “There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don’t.” I would agree with that. I just don’t agree with the people who don’t like him. What’s not to like?

Now I’m not the first person to acknowledge Neil’s talents. In fact, I remember when I was little watching this commercial for his compilation album that said, “NEIL DIAMOND. THE GREATEST SINGER/SONGWRITER OF ALL TIME.”

Wow. That’s quite a title. And I hadn’t even voted. But I certainly would have. And not just because his songs rock but because Neil and I, well, we have a special connection:

My mother’s maiden name is Diamond
Neil was born on January 24th (mine and Thea’s birthday)

Hello? Are you getting goose bumps? I’m pretty sure we’re related somehow. Like maybe he’s my uncle. Don’t you think we look alike? Actually, I’m really surprised Neil hasn’t responded to my letters stating these facts but I know he’s super busy. And speaking of being super busy, how many performers have been able to tour for over 30 years and still play to sold-out crowds? And have you seen these crowds? They’re a smorgasbord of young and old, WB and PBS, American Idol and Solid Gold.

And his songs! They’re all so different that you have to love at least one or five:

--Sweet Caroline
--Cherry Cherry
--Girl, you’ll be a woman soon
--Cracklin’ Rosie
--September Morn
--Heartlight (remember from a previous blog? I called it “The E.T. Song” and Miss Davis was pissed. http://writinggal.blogspot.com/2005/08/why-hall-oates-rock.html)
--America (Personal Fave: “They’re coming to America. TODAY!”)

You gotta give it to Neil. He’s smart. He knows what the crowd wants to hear. Not new songs from this decade. Give us the old stuff! The stuff before I was born! So he delivers. And he even wears sequined shirts that he had before I was born. That Neil.

Sadly, I have never had the chance to see Neil in concert. Once Frank and I were going to a U2 concert and on the way we passed another venue that was having a Neil Diamond show that very same night. I was a 25-year-old but I would have traded Bono for Neil no question.

He’s coming to Dallas in a few weeks and I looked into getting tickets. It’s $42.50 for my usual nosebleed seats. Yikes. I mean, he does rock, but at those prices it’s like he really believes he’s the greatest singer/songwriter of all time. I’m gonna need to talk to Uncle Neil about getting the family discount. And maybe I'll talk to him about losing the sequined shirts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that Neil also wrote the Monkees hit "I'm a Believer"! Another reason ND rocks! My personal fave is "Sweet Caroline", especially the version by Strictly Business.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that who Silverman & JD and the other guy (Saving Silverman) are obsessed with? He does have some good ones, but Lynyrd Skynyrd is still the best in my book.

Writinggal said...

Kristin W: Good point. But don't go "believing" that just because you're my sister Neil is your uncle too. You have to have the birthday AND the name coincidence. That makes Thea unrelated too. Sorry girls. I'll still take you to the show if I get cheap tix.

Scott: Yes, those Saving Silverman guys are alright.

Anonymous said...

Not sure how Neil could be your uncle and not mine, but hey if you want to hog him and his sequin shirts all to yourself, I'll just let you.

Anonymous said...

I love Neil!! Elsa we'll just get together with a six pack and his greatest hits cd. We don't need no stinkin' concert.

Anonymous said...

The pretty girl discount may be more successful...

Writinggal said...

Jacquie--Funny you should mention the pretty girl discount. Thea and I just used it in Mexico. We were supposed to pay $70 for both of us to get into a club but convinced them to let us in with $62 + 50 pesos (so about $67). Of course there we had to call it "descuento bonito de chica" but it seems to work in any language!

Anonymous said...

I'm so on the Neil Diamond bandwagon! I've actually been to 2 concerts - one when I was about 6 and one when I was 26. And at the most recent concert, all these crazy ladies in the front row were throwing their panties on stage. It was well worth $50 to sit two rows from the very back of the Erwin Center to see Neil and his AARP groupies.