Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Did you have a good Memorial Day?

I actually know that yesterday was Labor Day but I'm one of the few. I'm amazed at how many people confuse Memorial Day and Labor Day. Even my own husband who has more degrees on the wall than me said yesterday, "Oh, I guess Costco is closed because of Memorial Day." Labor Day, you idiot, LABOR DAY!!

Sure, they're both Monday holidays. They're both observed during hot months. They both call for burgers, beer and extra police enforcement on the highways. But do you know why I'm able to keep them straight? Because I've been through this 29 times! To be fair, Frank was born after Memorial Day '77 so he's only seen 28 of those.

Here's a little trick to help you keep it straight: Memorial = May (see that nice alliteration of the M's?) Labor = September (it practically rhymes).

But why should you even try to distinguish between the two besides the fact that it annoys me? Because we celebrate them for very different reasons: Memorial Day is to honor lost veterans and Labor Day is to honor workers.

Here's the scoop:
Memorial Day used to be called "Decoration Day" (but don't start thinking it falls in December). Some women in the South went around decorating graves before the end of the Civil War. Anyway, we observe the day now as a tribute to those who died in war--any war. But the Memorial Day PR team (if that exists), needs to do a better job of getting the word out. Some people think it's to honor all dead people (and we all know that's Groundhog Day). But my family in North Carolina is perhaps the most confused. We use Memorial Day as an excuse for a pig pickin'. We eat some pig, some deviled eggs, all kinds of desserts and get snockered. At least we put up an American flag (if we're not too snockered).


The Labor unions started the whole concept of Labor Day. Why the first Monday in September? Because it was halfway between Independence Day (you know when that is, right?) and Thanksgiving. It was President Grover Cleveland who signed a law designating the first Monday in September as Labor Day nationwide. Funny because Cleveland wasn't a fan of labor unions. But you know those politicians.

Just because only 14% of workers are part of labor unions today doesn't mean people don't labor just as hard. You're just stuck in cubes instead of coal mines, that's all. Still a good reason to have too many Natty Lights.

Let's clear up one more thing about Labor Day. On your calendar it will say "Labor Day" in May also. But next to it in parenthesis it says "UK." Ah! I actually knew someone (who may or may not be a blog reader) who planned a vacation because she thought we had the day off from work. I know, we can't help everybody.

Hopefully I've helped you to understand the two holidays and to look smart at parties. Oh, and the one we had yesterday also means you shouldn't be wearing those white pants today. Better go change.

Now, could someone please explain Daylight Savings Time to me?

4 comments:

ReadBecca said...

I happen to be wearing white capris today. Truly fashionable people don't care about rules. It's summer until the first cold front arrives, and that won't be for weeks.

Writinggal said...

Well then I don't feel so bad about letting Frank leave the house today wearing his white capris. I guess we won't worry that they're linen too.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those idiots who can't keep their holidays straight! I can remember if I sit and think about it, but offhand I always get confused.

At least I took the time yesterday and moved all my white-below-the-waist and linen to the guestroom closet!

Writinggal said...

And I thank you for being one of my many inspirations :)