Search This Blog

Friday, January 04, 2013

Things I wish I liked: Wearing PJs all day

So we're fresh off the holidays and that means the clock is ticking on getting those decorations down. Well, my personal clock starts on January 1st (although I'm over it all by 12/27) and thankfully my volunteers (husband, dad and 4-year-old), took it all down by my deadline. I give everyone else until after Epiphany. Then I start to judge.

Anyway, this isn't about my Christmas decorations stance. It's one of my "famous" things I wish I liked. And since it was the holidays I heard a lot of people say things like, "Oh, it was so nice. Today we just stayed in our jammies all day!" And you know what? That DOES sound nice! Especially, if it's a cold and/or rainy/snowy day (any precipitation counts), wearing pajamas is awesome. With their elastic waistbands, flannel material and oversized tops, they've got to be the second most comfortable thing next to scrubs. (The entire healthcare industry is really a step ahead of the rest of us when it comes to their work uniforms but that's another blog.) Plus, you completely eliminate a step in the getting-ready-for-the-day process.  You don't have to figure out what to wear; you don't have to put it on. And not bothering with a bra is so freeing. Am I right, ladies?

But I can't do it. Except for Christmas (when I did get dressed by about 3:00), I don't think I've ever spent the day or even the majority of the day in my pajamas. I don't even let my kids eat breakfast in their pajamas. (Cruel mom alert!) Leo's clothes are laid out for him and he puts them on before he comes downstairs. The first thing I do when Gus gets up is put some clothes on the kid. To be honest, his PJs are usually a little damp anyway. Who would want to sit around in those? I'd have to put on new PJs and that's just silly.

If I were to wear my PJs all day I just don't think I could be productive. I would just feel icky. Like the way I feel when I turn on the TV during the day and Days of Our Lives is on. Makes me feel dirty, guilty, sloth-like.

It's not like I have to be dressed up or anything. I mean, a velour track suit is just fine. But if I wore said velour track suit to bed then I would have to change upon waking. Showering is optional.

You folks who can do jammy days are inspiring. I'm not saying you're TOTALLY lazy. It's just that you seem to be able to embrace that laziness and I admire that. I wish I could be that comfortable being comfortable.

Wearing PJs all day: I wish I liked you, but I don't.

(Oh, and if I come over and you're having a PJ day, don't feel like you need to change. But I would prefer it if you would put on a bra...and take down your Christmas tree. )





4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Tell Leo @ Gus that cousin Franklin is one step ahead of them when it comes to getting dressed each day. His mommy dresses him in his next day clothes for bed time the night before waking up. No need for pjs and after a quick diaper change in the morn, he's ready to go to day care.

Granny Jo said...

I'm like you...staying in my pjs sounds great but eventually I feel compelled to get dressed so I can get something done & when I get things done, I feel better about myself. Sometimes I wish I had the freedom to allow myself to stay relaxed all day in pjs without feeling lazy or guilty that I haven't done anything.

Liz said...

Classic Elsa. I love it. If I sleep in a pair of leggings, I do change to a different pair of leggings... usually. But that's just because the calves will have stretched when I thrash around trying to go to sleep. I can't go long without a bra though... the ladies are cray cray.

Writinggal said...

That's funny about Franklin! I used to sleep in my workout clothes :) Tonight we are having book club in our PJs. Now that I am fine with...as long as I've been wearing normal clothes all day!