Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Leo's Spiritual Side




Lately Leo has been interested in all things religious. A few examples:
--The other day at church, rather than chugging trains or talking too loudly or being generally disruptive, Leo wanted to follow along with the readings! He kneeled and stood in all the right places. And when it came time for the Lord's Prayer, he obediently recited it word for word.

--For about a week he was into reading all his churchy books. One day we were reading "The Mass Coloring Book" and there was a picture of Jesus sort of hovering over these people at a church. Leo asked, "Why does Jesus never come to church?" I tried to explain that Jesus doesn't really live here anymore. He lives in heaven. He said, "Is heaven far away? Is that why Jesus never comes to church?"

--We recently had a loss in the family. Frank's sweet Grandma Valerie died last week at the age of 93. While Frank was at the funeral in Houston I needed to explain where he was to Leo so I said, "Grandma Valerie lives in heaven now." I used a picture
I had of Leo with Grandma Val to remind him of who she was. He looked at the picture and asked, "But mommy, what am I doing in heaven?"

--The past few days Leo has not been excited about going to school.
Yesterday when he was especially resistant I said, "What could we do to make going to school better?" He said he needed a blessing! So I said a little prayer.He still threw a fit about going to school. Maybe he's beyond preschool. He's ready for the seminary.

Here he is trying to transform Gus:


If the priesthood doesn't work out, Leo's back-up plan is to be a chef/volunteer firefighter:


Plan C is to be a paid firefighter/volunteer doctor




2 comments:

Granny Jo said...

I once told Leo that Jesus lives in his heart...he thought that was pretty amazing. And when I was getting frustrated trying to get him to settle down and go to sleep, I blessed him, asking Jesus to help him calm down and go to sleep. That surprised him so much that it worked...

Kristin said...

Bless you Leo, you are going to have an advantage on us older folks learning the new mass language. You will have to correct us!