Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Elsa of Sandwich


Joey on "Friends" and I have one thing in common: we LOVE sandwiches. Sandwiches have always been my favorite food. When I was little I used to eat them for breakfast. I had ham and cheese because ham is sort of breakfast-y. I also loved pimento cheese sandwiches and "chicken spread" sandwiches. My all-time favorite was cheese and mayo on white bread--microwaved.

In college my sandwiches got wackier. I discovered I loved a crunch so I would put Cheese Puffs in my turkey and cheese sandwich. I remember someone once commented that they looked like little fingers. Ew! And if I had access to a jar of queso, my all-time f
avorite thing was a turkey and cheese sandwich with Cheese Puffs dipped in queso. Yum.

It was during my undergrad experience (not that I had a grad experience) when I started turning otherwise normal food into sandwiches, especially pasta. Lasagna on a bread stick became lasagna-wich, spaghetti on garlic bread became spaghetti-wi
ch.

I love sandwich shops. Austin has the best--Longhorn Po Boy and Thundercloud Subs. I'm not a sandwich snob though; I'll eat Subway or Blimpie. Firehouse is pretty good too. At all those places I still love to put chips on my wich.

After my palette change of 2004, I started eating fewer sandwiches. It wasn't that I didn't like them; it's just that there were so many other things I liked.

So these days when I do have a sandwich, I like to get wacky with it. This week my Mother-in-Law is here and she's like my wacky sandwich partner in crime. I'll design a sandwich and then tell her the ingredients to see how she'll react. She's always game! Yesterday I said, "How about this? An avocado, hard boiled egg and Laughing Cow queso sandwich?"

"Sounds great!" she said. And you know what? It WAS great! I've made wacky sandwiches for her before but I can't remember what they had on them--probably some concoction involving hummus. I love to hummus up a sandwich.

So while my love for sandwiches hasn't wavered, my sandwich tastes have changed. I used to be a heavy mayo girl and now I can experiment with mustard or even go without a spread. Bottom line, I rarely meet or make a sandwich that I don't like. And if that does happen, I can always dip it in queso.


(While looking for a picture of a Cheese Puff sandwich, I found this one with peanut butter. Now even I think that is wacky...but I'd probably still eat it.)




3 comments:

GR said...

I love to make sandwiches when it's time for an extra helping at supper; such as piling rice, gravy and fish between two slices of bread with butter.

Kristin said...

I am obsessed with putting hummus on sandwiches, ok I am obsessed with hummus. I also love banana peppers on them, I learned this from Subway. Hmmm...Thunderclouds. Good thing there is not one on campus!!

Writinggal said...

I, too, am obsessed with hummus. We had a brief break-up when I was pregnant but now we are back in business! I love to put it on sandwiches too. I don't know how I feel about banana peppers, will have to try them.