Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The Rise and Fall of the Caboodle

Granny Jo often says the word “Caboodle” when playing with Leo. Of course, that got me thinking about Caboodles, as in the great make-up and accessories organization kits of the 80s.

I wondered, whatever happened to Caboodles? They were cute, clever and effective for both storage and transport. Plus, the word Caboodle is so fun to say! “My mom says I can spend the night. Let me just grab my Caboodle and I’ll come over” or “Where is my blue eyeliner? Oh, it’s in my Caboodle. No doy!”

caboodle 

caboodles

I had one but I’m not sure what I put in it because I probably wasn’t old enough to wear make-up when they were popular. And why did we stop using Caboodles? Was it when people started going grunge in the 90s and therefore wore less make-up and jewelry? I guess a Caboodle wasn’t really great for storing flannel shirts. Plus, with its pastel colors, it didn’t really go with the dreary-Seattle movement.

The way I feel about Caboodles is not unlike how I feel about  Banana Clips. Both were wonderful inventions. Both made everyone who used them happy. Both made our lives easier. And both fell victim to our fickle consumer society. I’m very sorry to have been a part of your demise, Caboodle.

The good news is that Caboodles, the company, is still going strong. They make all kinds of make-up cases, some more sophisticated for those of us in the 30+ crowd. And they still make Caboodles like the ones pictured above. But get this; they’re called “Classic” Caboodles.

I think I’m going to get one. If I had one in 1997, it may have looked like I was just out of style. But if I have one now, I could say, “Oh, that? That’s my Caboodle. It’s vintage 1986. It holds my make-up, jewelry and there’s even a space for my banana clips.”

5 comments:

Jessi said...

I think mine is still in my closet at home (tx). It was black and white, inline with the grunge movement :)

Kristin said...

I took my Caboodle to college in 1990, I think that makes me old.
The bottom part was great for storing my many colors of twisted bead!

Oh, and mine was all pink!

Liz said...

That pic you posted is EXACTLY the Caboodle I had!! I loved that darn thing. And you're so right.... SO useful. Awesome. This post is awesome.

Writinggal said...

I think they were kind of hard to keep clean, or at least mine was. I feel like it always had eye shadow caked into the little compartments. Jessi, I might be scared to open yours if it's been in a closet that long!

Unknown said...

I still have the one I used from my pageant daze! ;)
What?!! Tomboys can like too!! Ok, actually love and probably why I still have it and use it. I keep my old skool hair ties, u know those big fluffy ones from the 90's?! Hot pink, baby blue! Shoot plz!! Lol. Mines pink btw. Thanks for the topic.