Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign


We have a sign like this on a road near my house. I’ve got two problems with it:

1. It says it’s “putting America to Work” but there’s no work going on around it (unless you count the lone tractor sitting idly behind the sign).
2. It cost $1,600--$1,500 to produce the sign and $100 to install it.

I’m not a math expert but if the sign costs $1,600 and the plan is to pay people to fix a road that’s not even broken, that doesn’t sound like a profitable project.

Luckily, I’m not the only one who thinks this. After the Atlanta Journal Constitution wrote an article, revealing the high cost of these signs, people got steamed. The Georgia Department of Transportation decided to stop producing the signs.

It reminds me of the time the government was sending everybody stimulus money. Is that what we called it or is the word “stimulus” just on my brain? Anyway, rather than just sending it, they had to mail us not one, but TWO letters, telling us it was coming.

Note to the government: If you’re going to give people money or give people jobs, just do it. Don’t spend money talking about it. What’s that biblical verse about “when giving alms, don’t let the right hand know what the left is doing?” or the other one about not playing a trumpet in the street to brag about something great you did? That totally applies here.

But I don’t mean to sound ungrateful. Thanks for our sign and for our stalled tractor. I get to pass it every day; makes me smile.

2 comments:

GR said...

Think of all the sign makers who are now out of work.

Writinggal said...

Maybe the grocery stores could put them to work making signs that say, "Have a heart, take back your cart."