Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Leo's been here 18 months


It’s Leo’s half birthday! He was super sick on Wed. and part of Thursday but he rallied and appears to be perfect, just in time for the 18-month chair pics and Halloween!
Here are the cute things he does lately:

We can practically have conversations now (which is awesome because I love to chat too)! The other day I tried to list out all the words he could say. I thought of over 50. The rest of the day it was like he was trying to tell me all the words I left off because there were a lot: Texas, Meow, bowl, etc. So I think with all these additional ones we’re at least at 75.

His favorite word is "no" and he answers every question with "no." Funny that he can say so many words but "yes" is not one of them!

First three syllable word: umbrella. That’s the one good thing about all the rain we’ve been having—Leo learned a new word! He says it like, “Uh-bell-lah!” He was trying to push the umbrella down the other day and I said, “No, it goes over our heads” and he said, “Oh ah heads.”
Speaking of sentences, he can say a few of those: “I made it!” He says this because it’s in his book, “Leo the Late Bloomer.” He also says, “Bye bye, Mama” and “bye bye” to other people and animals (which is technically a sentence)!

He also says “bye bye” to inanimate objects like balls. Whenever we leave to go somewhere he says, “bye bye, ball” or he gets real specific like, “bye bye, football” or “bye bye, kick ball.”

He really likes to say “sleep sack” except he says “seep slack.” When it’s time to go to sleep he says “seep slack” and when he wakes up he says, “bye bye, seep slack.”

He likes to say good night to Elmo: “Night night, Nu-no.”

When we read him books, he often knows what’s coming before we say it. Like in the book, “Moo, Baa, La la la,” we say “The cow says” and Leo says “Moo” and then we say, “The sheep says” and he says “Baa” and we say, “Three singing pigs say” and Leo says “La la la.”

He loves animal sounds—he knows the ones above plus neigh (which he says with that horsey-vibrato), meow, bow wow wow, quack, oink and roar.

I guess his eyes are sensitive to light because whenever he sees the sun he says, “Eyes!” He also says this if he starts to cry.

He knows how to say his name but I’m not sure he likes it. When I say, “Is your name Leo?” He says, “No!” I say, “What is your name?” “Baby.”

And just this week he started saying, “No no, Leo” but it sounds like, “Nono, ee-oh.”

He likes to pick up my purse, put it on his shoulder and say, “bye bye.” This is not Frank’s favorite thing that he does!

He’s funny with food: If he’s eating something and I bring out the next thing, he spits out what he’s eating. I have to remember not to let him see the next “course” until he’s completely chewed up the last bite of what he was working on. The mention of “pancake” if he’s eating egg means all the egg is going to come out on the bib.

He says “Mmm goo” meaning “Mmm good” when he eats something he likes.

He’s good at feeding himself with a spoon and before every bite he says “Beeg bite” as in “big bite.”

He likes his frozen mini pancakes so much he actually points to the freezer and says “pah-cake!”

He knows what’s next in the routine: Like when we get him out of the bathtub he says, “teeth” meaning it’s time to brush teeth. But he tried to trick us the other night. We said, “What comes next?” and he said, “Play!” He also starts singing “Tinkle tinkle” and doing the hand motions to “Twinkle Twinkle” as soon as we cut off the light.

He loves to throw balls in the sink; I’ll be cleaning dishes and I find a football.

He knows whose house is whose: We’ll arrive at Claire’s and he says “Kit Kat.” We go to Chantal’s and he says says “Ike.” Okay, so maybe he knows which animals live in which houses.

He understands possession: “Dada bike” and “Mama bike”

I can give him directions to follow like, “Go get that dish towel for mommy” and “Go get your Elmo book out of the drawer.” He knows what I’m saying! Sometimes he even dries a dish or two!

When I say daddy’s at work he says, “mow.” He thinks Frank mows lawns for a living.

He knows all the movements to his favorite songs like the Wheels on the Bus and the Itsy Bitsy Spider. I don't even have to do the movements. I can just say, "The driver on the bus says" and he motions with his hand and says something like, "Moo back" for "move on back."

He likes to play with the computer mouse so this took me about four hours to finish :)



















6 comments:

David S said...

Not David,,,,this is Granny Jo!
Happy 18 months,Leo! What a talker! I will study this blog report (Leo vocabulary) in preparation for my visit in November.
Granny Jo loves you!

kristin.1293 said...

1 1/2 years old! What a "Beeg Boy" you are Leo!
And so handsome and smart, too!
Love, Tia K

GR said...

Leo's vocabulary is increasing so quickly that we can begin working on his Heisman Trophy acceptance speech when I visit over Thanksgiving. He'll need to be ready to deliver it in about 20 years.

Happy 1 1/2!

David S said...

Granny Jo has a question: Does Leo actually LIKE brushing his teeth these days?

Writinggal said...

No! He still doesn't like to brush his teeth! He just likes to talk about it.

Jessi said...

Holy cow time flies! He's the happiest little one I know (besides my little one).