Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Brain Runs on Electricity

Yesterday morning our electricity went out. It was around 6:15am and I was writing (natch). Suddenly the lights went out in my office but my computer stayed on. I thought, “The electricity must have gone out…but why is my computer still on?”

Thus started a stream of dumb thoughts (some of which I uttered out loud) that were caused by this power outage.

“Frank, why can’t I see the baby on the monitor anymore?”

“Because the electricity is out.”

“But the monitor has battery back-up! I unplugged it.” (Point Writinggal.)

“But his camera doesn't work without electricity.”

Oh.

“Why don’t you call the electric company to report the power outage?” suggested Frank.

That I could do. I just needed their number. It was in the files in the closet in my office. On the way there I must have tried to turn on three lights.

Then when I went to call them I noticed my cell phone battery was dying. Better plug it into the charger.

Oh, wait.

I used Frank’s cell phone.

After learning the whole area was out, I decided I was thirsty. I went to get a drink of water from the dispenser on the freezer door. It didn’t work.

That thing needs electricity too? Who knew? Not me.

Well that doesn’t mean I can’t eat breakfast. Cereal doesn't need electricity.

I opened the fridge to get the milk. It was dark. Ah! Everything’s going to go bad. I didn’t even think of that!

Frank said, “I hope Leo doesn’t get cold.”

“Why would Leo get cold?” I asked.

“Because the heater isn’t working.”
Great! Apparently the heater runs on electricity too!

At least I could still get some work done. My computer was still working (which I figured out was because it had battery power).

When I got back up to my office (with the help of a flash light), I decided to email my mom and tell her about this terrible power outage.

But get this: the internet requires electricity!

As Frank left for work he went to manually open the garage door. See, I wouldn’t think of that. I would just have hit the button and then been surprised when it didn’t open. It’s like I’m auto pilot. Or auto idiot.

I said, “I don’t want to have to lift the garage door again so I’m just going to put my car out in the driveway,” I said.

“That’s a really smart idea!” Frank said.

That’s right. Sometimes I’m smart despite the loss of electrical power. But luckily it came back on in an hour (because while you CAN take a shower without electricity, you cannot, as I discovered, blow dry your hair).

1 comment:

Kristin said...

i always want to blow dry my hair when the electricity goes out!
It sure is convenient to have a garage door opener, but opening and closing it was probably really good exercise everyday!