Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Medieval and other time periods that make me queasy

Tips from Thea mentioned that she was going to Medieval Times. I told her that I went a long time ago and didn’t like it. I added that this shouldn’t change her expectations, though, because I don’t like to eat and what people dressed from that time period.

“So Jerry Springer and Medieval Times?” she asked, referring to my other nausea-inducing program.

“Actually, there are a lot of time periods that I can’t eat and look at,” I told her and together we made a list:

Baroque. I appreciate that the paintings are pretty but I don’t want to have a meal and face one of them.

Victorian: There was an incident at the Moody Mansion in Galveston…

The dark ages: Who likes that one anyway?

And ooh, the Renaissance. That might be the worst! I never had any desire to go the Reinnasance festival in Houston. Eat a turkey leg while watching people in Shakespearian garb? No thanks.

Then Thea asked, “What about Little House on the Prairie?”

“Actually, I’m okay with Laura Ingalls Wilder,” I told her. We then figured out that my issues are really more with anything prior to 1900. After that I’m cool.

I mean, I CAN eat and look at historical art and costumes but for some reason the food just doesn’t taste as good. That must be why I didn’t gain weight in Europe.

But it looks like Thea and co. enjoyed themselves at Medieval Times:


What a brave girls! I admire them.


Although I’d rather eat at Medieval Times than during an episode of Jerry Springer any day.



3 comments:

Kristin said...

I agree, the Ren Fest as those who are fans call it, is so creepy!
I do not like restaurants with themes overall.
This post reminded of the Magic Time Machine,which had waitstaff dressed as different annoying characters.

Thea said...

Ahhh, I have yet to try Magic Time Machine. I'll have to put that on the list.

Writinggal said...

Let's add ancient Egypt to the list. There's an exhibit here and the story about it in the paper really messed up breakfast time for me.