Search This Blog

Friday, October 24, 2008

Reindeer Games

I often wake up in the middle of the night and say crazy things. Rather than just telling me to go back to sleep, Frank plays along. So if I suddenly sit up out of a sound sleep and say, “The corn tastes like peas!” Frank will say, “Why do you think it tastes like that? Did you accidentally make peas instead of corn?”

Or if I say, “Save the cheerleader, save the world” after a particularly spooky episode of Heroes, he’ll say, “Are you gonna save the cheerleader? What’s your special power?”

None of these are even close to real examples because it’s all sort of foggy to me. All I know is that I say something that I think is completely coherent and legitimate and Frank chuckles because he knows I’m not making any sense. When he comes back with his silly questions, I get really frustrated and become more adamant about proving my sanity.

But I do remember one night a couple of years ago when I said something crazy, Frank responded and then I came back with, “I’m not gonna play your reindeer games!”

“My reindeer games?” he asked, laughing.

“Yes, you’re trying to trick me! And I know what I’m talking about!” I said.

Lately my middle-of-the-night outburts have been about Leo. I always think he’s there in the room and more specifically, caught up in the covers somewhere. I’ll wake up and frantically toss all the covers off the bed, searching for him. In reality, he’s sleeping in his crib in another room and Frank usually has to direct me to the monitor to assure me of this.

Last night I said something like, “When you pick up the baby, make sure you’re careful not to drop his limbs!”

Frank said, “What? Don’t take him to Grandma Lib’s?”

I said, “I know what I’m talking about. I’m awake. I just want to make sure you don’t drop the baby.”

“Elsa, where is the baby?” Frank asked. “Did you check the monitor?”

“Yes. I know he’s not in here. I’m just saying to be careful when you hold him,” I said (actually still thinking he was in the room).

“But you said something crazy about Grandma Lib,” Frank insisted.

“No, I said his limbs! His limbs! Don’t drop him or he’ll hurt his limbs!” I insisted, and then realized that I wasn’t making any sense and felt silly.

Frank came back with, “Hey, don’t think I’m gonna play your reindeer games!”

5 comments:

Aimee said...

omg, lmao.

Jacquie said...

That is so funny... I think I just woke the boys up I was laughing so hard!

Writinggal said...

It took me about three minutes to figure out Aimee's acronym but I got it!

heatherc said...

Very funny! I can SO relate to your sleepy talk, though. At night I often mistake the cat sleeping at the foot of the bed for Jonah, who is sleeping in his own bed. I grab the cat and try to tuck him in safely under my arm. Only when I am scratched, or when Omar reasons with me by insisting that Jonah doesn't have a tail, do I realize my mistake.

Is it the lack of sleep that makes us crazy?

Aimee said...

i cannot stop laughing. i wake up at least twice a week leaping for my dog who is trying to jump off the bed, because i think it's my daughter crawling off. too funny.