Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Things I wish I liked: scrapbooking

Yesterday two of my friends talked about how they wanted to get together to make scrapbooks. Wait, actually, I don't think you say "make scrapbooks," I think you just say "scrapbook" like it's a verb. It sounded so fun. They had all the materials but hadn't put the books together. They were going to drink wine, chat and scrapbook. (I might have made up the drinking wine part.)They asked if I wanted in. Nuh-uh. Why? I'm anti-scrapbook.

Seems like a weird thing to be against, right? I mean, when the book is complete it's really cool. It's something you and your friends and family can use to reminisce and laugh. It holds all your memories in a creative and clever way. It's full of cute stickers, captions and bordered paper.

And the putting together while drinking wine and chatting? That sounds great! Plus, it would be a smart thing to do with all the pictures I've got just lying around...on my hard drive.

But I just don't like it. First of all, in order to get involved in it you have to buy tons of paper, stickers, decals and even these special scissors...not to mention the books. Where does all of that go? In my house! It would pile up until I'd be buried in scrapbooking materials. Then I would end up on Oprah as a hoarder. And that is like my worst nightmare. Because if I have one chance to be on Oprah, it better be because I'm the author of one of her book club books.

Also, it seems like scrapbooking women go to conventions. I don't like conventions. And somehow I imagine that scrapbooking conventions are full of frumpy ladies hauling their crafts in those mesh carts like I've seen at flea markets. And I really don't like flea markets.

And speaking of crafts, that's really the #1 reason I can't scrapbook. I am so not crafty. All the glue, tape and fine motor skills--it's just too complicated!

So I'll just stay here with my virtual pictures and fill-in-the-blank, unfinished baby book.

Scrapbooking. I wish I liked it. But I don't.

3 comments:

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Writinggal said...

That's like when people have gift-wrapping rooms. I'm like, "How many gifts do you give? Woah!" I have a gift-wrapping container full of tissue paper and used gift bags!

John & Courtney Loyd said...

I with you - I'm anti-scrapbooking too. And my fill in the blank babybook is not even close to complete.