Search This Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sleep Sitting

It's 1:25 am. I don't usually blog at this hour because Leo is normally an excellent nighttime sleeper. And I can't say that tonight is any different. I'm not up because Leo isn't sleeping. I'm up because Leo IS sleeping. He's just doing it sitting up.

11:34pm--Leo makes a sound on the monitor that wakes me up. I glance at the monitor and see that he is sitting up in his crib. We have one of those new fangled video monitors. "Go back to sleep," I tell the baby in the monitor.


From 11:34 until 12:00am I drift in and out of sleep, holding the monitor. Leo is still sitting up all this time but he's clearly sleeping. He's done this once before but it didn't last this long.

Then I have this crazy dream about working at an ad agency except it's at the office of where Jeremy Piven works on Entourage. In this dream I started out as an intern and quickly moved up the ranks. Then one day I'm yelling at someone and this co-worker of mine says, "Hey, when did you become an 80-year-old drill sergeant?" And I realize I've become a jerk. And then I wake up.

I glance at the monitor. Leo is still sitting up. I glance at the clock. 1:04am. Oh, shoot. Has this kid been sleeping sitting up for an hour and a half?

I ask this question aloud to Frank who answers, "I'm really out of it with this floaty medicine." (This is what he calls Nyquil or Nitetime which is the generic Kroger stuff we bought. Lucky him. I wish I was on floaty meds.)

"I think I'm going to push him down," I tell Floaty Frank.

"But what if you didn't have the video monitor? You would just think he was sleeping," Frank says, which surprisingly made a lot of sense for a man who was in a medically-induced float.

So I came up here to the computer to Google "Baby + Sleeping Sitting Up" and I really haven't found much on the subject. Our baby is a freak of nature.

Oh, and as I've been writing this he laid back down. So I guess if any other parents are up in the middle of the night and Googling the same thing, they might find this blog. So I'll just say this: Give it about two hours and your kid may just lay down.

I don't have any pics to accompany this blog posting since I don't dare take his picture while he's sleeping sitting up. So I'll just find another picture where he's sitting up...

There. He looks just like this except his eyes are closed:

Good night. I'm going to lie down now. Or maybe I'll just sleep right here in my desk chair.

6 comments:

dad simcik said...

Nothing to worry about I often walk in on Granny Jo who is sitting up with her eyes closed and I think she is sleeping does not open eyes when I walk in-- she says she is meditating and I know she is sleeping- maybe Leo is very spiritual like Granny Jo and is meditating-- Granny Jo is OK and we need to let Granny Jo and Leo meditate whenever and let GOD watch over them --- soooo if you see him sitting up meditating just smile and go back to sleep--- that is what I do--- love Popsy

Kristin said...

I guess weird sleep issues run in the family. Hopefully he will just sleep sitting up and not have night terrors like me!

Writinggal said...

I called the doctor's office (because that's what new moms do) and the nurse said (after laughing) that she doesn't think it's a problem, although she had never heard of a baby doing this. She said he must have good balance!

Granny Jo said...

So Leo is a Buddha baby! Happy meditating! And by the way, Popsy sits with his eyes closed in church. He claims he's meditating! Love, Granny JO

The Heller's said...

Kelsey used to fall asleep anywhere whether in the middle of eating cereal in her high chair or sitting up in a grocery cart - if they are tired enough where they are is good enough for sleep!

Mullen said...

that is sooooooo funny!!!