Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Lone Belt

I went to a jewelry party a couple of months ago and while admiring (but not planning on buying) the selections, a woman next to me said, "I don't really care about jewelry, I just like belts."





"Yes, belts are great," I said. I wasn't lying. Belts ARE great. But then I thought about my own belt collection. It didn't take me long: there's the black one I got from Express a few years ago...and then there's...

That's it.

That's when I realized:


I only have ONE belt! I got it like nine years ago. It's sort of falling apart. But it's the only one I've got.





How sad is that?





Looking back, I'm not sure how this happened. There was a definitely a time in my life when I had at least three, maybe four belts. But I guess 50% of those were braided so I had to get rid of them.





Then between the years 2003 and 2005 I'm pretty sure I stopped wearing belts. I think I decided they were out of style. Were they? Or did I just make that up?





After that I think I was down to two--the black one I currently own and a brown one. The problem was that the brown one had a gold buckle so it didn't really go with anything. I guess I threw it out.





Every now and then I've searched for a brown belt with a silver buckle but that's actually really hard to find.





I've probably been surviving on one belt for at least three years now.





I'm not posting this so that people will send me belts or gift cards to Target (which surprisingly has a pretty nice selection). I'm just trying to sort out my own belt history so I can determine how I wound up in this situation.





I guess with the economy the way it is I should be grateful to even have one belt...and with all the oversized portions and my sedentary job, grateful that the belt still fits.





And now, I leave you with a picture of my belt (and hopefully you read the whole blog and therefore understand I'm not randomly posting a crotch shot):









3 comments:

Kristin said...

I do not own a single belt! I can never find ones that fit correctly with my pants.

Liz said...

I remember this belt. I also remember when you were in the belt phase.... because I knew you best from 2003 - 2005. You had a pink belt at one point, yes?

Writinggal said...

Oh, I forgot the whole pink belt thing! Where did that go?

Kristin, I spoke with Laura about this and she also has no belts. So I guess my "one belt" announcement isn't really that amazing.