Search This Blog

Sunday, March 30, 2008

La Biblioteca



TV Guide always puts out an issue where they feature “The Best Show You’re not Watching.” I remember one year it was Gilmore Girls. Another time it was Arrested Development. I watched both those shows so I’m obviously in the know.

That’s why you should listen to me when I say I know the best place you’re not frequenting. (It’ll be no surprise if you remember a little bit of high school Spanish.)

The library.

Sure, I used to purchase books from Barnes and Noble. Even got a nice little collection here. And it’s good to own books, makes you look smart. But how often do you re-read books? Like never.

But here’s how the library works: you can borrow books, read them and then return them. And best of all, it’s free! No, I mean it’s free even to join. There’s no initiation fee. Anyone can join. You just need a driver’s license or a recent electric bill.

Why does it seem like people don't go there as much anymore? I'm here to tell you the library is cool.

Yes, there are a few drawbacks:
You can’t write notes in the books
You can’t dog-ear the pages
Sometimes you don’t finish the book in time and you try to renew it but someone else is waiting so you can’t
You can’t use the books as a coaster



More library pros:
It’s free!
They have new books! My library, at least, has this thing called the “floating collection” which has newer books. You can only keep them for two weeks but still, they’re the same ones on the display tables at B&N.
The library setting is so peaceful. It’s one of the last few places to not allow cell phones.
You can check out audio books and listen to them in your car.
Did I mention that you get all this for free?

Right now I’m reading “Shopaholic and Baby.” It was just released the end of 2007. You can't get much newer than that unless you pre-order something on Amazon where you have to pay for the book AND the shipping.

I mean, you rent movies. Why not rent books?

So go to your local library. You too can read new, free books. You’ll impress your book club, save money and support your local community (not really financially, more emotionally).

Oh, and if you have time left over after reading your free books, also watch Greek on ABC Family. I'm telling you, I'm totally in the know.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

And movies! They are like our little version of Netflix. People are always shocked when I tell them I rent movies from the library - for FREE!

Lori said...

I LOVE the library. I appreicate it even more with my daughter who is one. They have stuffed animals to play with, little chairs to climb on and tons of picture books.