Search This Blog

Monday, March 03, 2008

Better Late than No Thin Mints






January 2008: I started craving the stuff. It’s my favorite time of year when Girl Scouts start knocking on your door or their parents start hitting you up at work. But alas, no knocks. No pushy co-workers.

February 2008: ditto. It was a long, sad month. I basically gave up. I figured Georgia was anti-Girl Scout cookies. At least nobody came by trying to sell peach cookies. Gross.

March 2, 2008: A glorious day. We were walking into church (five minutes early, go Lenten Writinggal) and I saw a table set up outside. I squealed.

Seriously, I squealed.

Frank had to usher me past it but promised, “We’ll get some afterwards.”

“I’m sooooo excited!” I said, still squealing. “I thought I wasn’t going to get any this year! I mean, nobody came by the house, nobody asked you at work…”

“Well,” Frank said, “Somebody asked me at work.”

“WHAT??” I asked, my squealing turning to scolding.

“See, what happened was, they sent this email, saying that we could sign up for cookies and…”

“And what? Why wouldn’t you buy them? You know how we feel about the stuff! You know you can only get them once a year, right?”

“But I was hoping someone I knew better would ask…”

I then reminded him of that old tale about the duck holding the fish who saw the reflection in the water and thought it was a bigger fish so he dropped the one he had…I think that applied here.

At mass during the announcements Frank whispered, “They haven’t mentioned the Girl Scout Cookies for sale outside.”

“I’m glad,” I told him. “I don’t want everybody running out there!”

But they did. It was a mob scene. “Get out the exact change!” I told Frank after going over our order. He reminded me, “You can’t say Tagalongs or Thin Mints anymore…” But when I nudged my way up there I saw that they WERE labeled as Tagalongs, Thin Mints, etc. AND they were still $3.50, not $4.00 like they were in ’06.

After I was done they had to make an announcement: “There’s only one box of Tagalongs left!”

“YES!” I told Frank. “We got there just in time. We almost missed out on the Tagalongs!”

Then Frank went into his annual rant on two topics relating to the stuff:

1. Tagalongs are good but they don’t give you enough. He can eat one box in one sitting. In fact, he has eaten one box in one sitting.

2. It’s not fair that Girl Scouts get to sell the stuff but as a Boy Scout he had to sell Scout Fair tickets. Nobody wanted to go to the scout fair where they learned to tie knots and administer first aid; they just bought tickets out of pity.

He’s right. Nobody pities the Girl Scouts. They are the beholders of the stuff. And now I am the beholder of the most delicious cookies ever. And I will not let them go even if I think I see a bigger fish. Or bigger cookies. Whatever. It applies here too.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Mine just got delivered to my desk just now!

I don't want to open them here at work because I'd have to share. I'm very giving but I've got to draw the line somewhere.

Writinggal said...

That is a smart move. I am not a good food sharer. I remember when I used to count out a serving of Cheese Nips and bring them to work in a little baggy. This co-worker would always ask for some and I would reluctantly oblige but the whole time think, "I COUNTED them out! There's only a serving in there! Now I will starve!" It was sad.

Anonymous said...

I ordered Girl Scout cookies at my old job, and my former co-worker asked me if I still wanted them. I was like, of course.
My friend Donna is babysitting them for me. She does deserve to have some of my cookies
I have to avoid buying the ones on campus, because I know I already have some. That makes me sad!