Search This Blog

Friday, October 20, 2006

Writinggal's Beauty Tips

As you know I only recently started using moisturizer when my doctor told me that I looked like the Old Woman who Lived in the Shoe’s grandmother. Well, she didn’t say that exactly but that’s what I heard.

Now I’m a moisturizing maniac. I have to be; I have to make up for 29 years of dehydrated skin. I apply it like four times a day. And with my moisturizing obsession came a yearning to learn all kinds of beauty tips. Here’s what I’ve picked up so far:

Moisturize Up: If you don’t want to spring for a face-lift later, do what Cul de Sac Carrie does: Apply your moisturizer in an upward motion. I was going round and round like a fool!

Use your Ring Finger: Here’s another one I learned from Cul de Sac Carrie (who actually got it from Mary Kay): Your ring finger has the least amount of muscle so use it to apply your under eye cream. Check it out; it’s true. Try to straighten out each of your fingers. Can’t do the ring finger, can you? I love that trick.

Your future’s bright; wear shades: This is my own personal tip. I wear sunglasses anytime I step foot outdoors. I don’t care if it’s cloudy, rainy, hurricaney or if I’m just checking the mailbox. I’ve got on my shades. You won’t catch me squintin’!

EVOO—put it on your bod: I picked this one up while I was in the doctor’s waiting room, reading Real Simple magazine. Apparently you need a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in your bathroom too. Women said they wash their faces with it and one girl said she mixes it up with sugar and makes a scrub. I haven’t tried it yet; I’d probably end up eating it.

Pantene Keeps Away the Pricklies: When you’re shaving your legs, forget shaving cream, use conditioner! I hear it makes your legs so soft you don’t even have to put on lotion afterwards. I’m going to try it with my Pantene because, as my hairdresser told me yesterday, that’s like the worst conditioner you can buy. She got all scientific about what it does to your hair and when I said that I hadn’t heard that she said, “Oh, everybody knows that. It’s a real obvious one.”

Hey, gimmee a break. I’m not BeautyGal! I don’t know these things! I just started using this year.

I welcome any of your beauty tips. With your help, I’m hoping that by next year I can get upgraded to the Old Woman who lived in the Shoe’s mother.

7 comments:

Jessi said...

I love the exfoliator gloves. Man they work good!

Anonymous said...

I just have a few tips: Sunscreen, sunscreen, and more sunscreen. I like the oil free kind, and I also use a moisterizer that includes sunscreen. And it's great for your skin to drink a lot of water. Great tips Elsa, thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant to write that it's great for your skin if -you- drink a lot of water.

Writinggal said...

I haven't ventured into exfoliation yet...that's the next frontier.

Yes, I meant to say sunscreen too! My moisturizer has it and so does my chap stick.

Anonymous said...

I do all of those already, and yes sunscreen in your moisturizer is a must!!
I have been shaving my legs with conditioner for years, it is especially great on vacation. You get a dual use out of your Pantene!
Sometimes people tease me about my pale skin, but they also think I am about 10 years younger than my age! Keep on moisturizing!!

Writinggal said...

I can't believe you didn't tell me about the conditioner on the legs trick. What do you do with all that shaving cream we get in our stockings?

ReadBecca said...

Make sure you pick the right sunscreen. UVB blockers keep you from getting burned, and UVA blockers keep you from getting old. Not all sunscreens block both kinds, even if the box says "broad spectrum." Pick one with avobenzone (Parsol 1789), zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. It'll be listed under "active ingredients" on the label. They have meroxyl in Europe, and soon to be available here as well. Sunscreen is my saving grace. I also stopped tanning when I was 19. Sun = leatherface.