Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Mind the Gap




So I’ve been wearing these itty bitty rubber bands on my teeth for exactly three weeks now. Up until last Friday I had no way of judging my progress except for peering into the mirror several times a day. However, I got plenty of feedback from people:

Frank: “Let me see your teeth. I think it’s working! I’m sure the gap is much smaller! Wait. No. I don’t think it’s moved at all. How much am I paying for this again?”

Amy J’s sister who is studying to be a nurse: “Rubber bands around your teeth? Um, I don’t think that’s gonna work.”

So on Friday I went back to the orthodontist to get some real input. Since last time I stuck out as the only adult in the waiting room, I decided to “teen up” my look a little bit: I wore my new fave novelty baby-tee “No One Cares about Your Blog,” teenage jeans and trendy sneakers. (Okay, they were New Balance but trust me, they’re totally juvenile.)

I sat down next to this other girl who was probably about 15 or 16 (hoping people would think we were fries). She was talking to a woman and her teenage daughter:

Woman: “Well, congratulations to you!”
Teen next to me: “I’m not sure if it’s such a good thing.”
Woman: “Nonsense. Every baby is a good thing!”
Woman’s teenage daughter: “I know with my first I felt the same way. It’s scary. But then when I saw my baby it was like, okay, I was meant to do this. Now I’m having another one!”

Yikes. I tried to listen more (wanted to find out what happened to the baby daddy) but then they called me back: "Elisa!" When I stood up the hygienist said, “So, um, you’re the…patient?”

Hello? I’m totally wearing teenage clothes! What? Just because I don’t have braces or a baby I can’t be a teenager?

A lady orthodontist (different than the last time) checked my gap against a picture they had taken. “Oh my gosh! Dr. Evans has got to see this,” she squealed before running off.

What? Did my gap actually get bigger? Were they going to see how many Jolly Ranchers they could fit in there?

Soon, Dr. Evans, the lady doctor, the hygienists, the kids getting their braces tightened with colored rubber bands and I’m pretty sure the two knocked up teens were gathered around my chair. They looked from the picture to me in awe.

They swiveled the computer screen around to face me and I saw my “before” picture. I can’t believe I was walking around with that thing! That gap was enormous!

After some official measurements Dr. Evans announced that my gap had gone from three millimeters to one! Hurray. I only have to wear these things for another couple of weeks and then I get a retainer.

Then I’ll totally be a teenager…minus all the acne and angst.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And minus the illegitimate child.

Anonymous said...

ok... would love to comment on the baby mama stuff, BUT... did the orthodontist fit you for a retainer? if you don't wear a retainer, the teeth will just go back to their comfort zone. since the ortho just used rubber bands, the roots in your gums didn't move, just the teeth, so they will be very eager to go back to the gap! congratulations on the initial movement though! how exciting!

Writinggal said...

Yes, when I go back in a couple of weeks I get my retainer! It's going to be the permanent kind behind my teeth. Frank has one too so we'll be matching. As Jessi would say, "How tender."

Jessi said...

Well, it is. :)