Search This Blog

Friday, September 29, 2006

And I call myself Cookinggal



Apparently, you’re not supposed to dump a big pan of cooking oil down the sink drain.

But come on, we’re talking about a girl who didn’t know what it meant to “brown meat.” If you’ll recall, when I first saw that on a recipe I said, “I know the meat is brown but what do I do with it?” Is this really that surprising?

I was at my neighbor’s house for our Granbury Girls State Fair-themed night. I was excited to use my Twinkie fryer (thanks, Lyndsay, for the gift three years ago) that I had never taken out of the box.

I thought it could be a fun activity for all the GGs to do together.

I brought the frozen Twinkies, the fyer but not enough cooking oil. So hostess Susan pitched in with some of her cooking oil. Then new neighbor Camille ran home and got some vegetable oil to add to the vat. My point? There was A LOT of oil.

The whole frying process was kinda gross as you can imagine. The Twinkies tasted good...but in a gross kinda way. It’s kinda like if you worked at McDonald’s and you knew how they made everything, you probably couldn’t eat it. Thus was my relationship with the fried Twinkies.

So when some of the GGs were off touring the house I decided to clean up all the fried Twinkie mess that I had made. Cul de Sac Carrie commented, “Wow, it even smells like the state fair!” I picked up the giant vat of oil, proceeded to dump it down the drain and said, “Yeah, and it even sounds like the state fair!”

Neighbor Karen stayed calm. She said, “Um, you might want to run some hot water and pour some soap down the drain.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because you’re really not supposed to pour oil down the drain,” she said. She then explained something about congealing and clogging.

Now Frank had told me something similar about bacon grease but he had never mentioned that this applied to all oils. How was I to know?

When hostess Susan came back I was furiously running hot water down her drain and using up all her soap. I confessed what I had done. Kerry “with a K” said she knew of a good plumber. Others talked about how they always pour their oil in coffee cans.

So I really was the only one who didn’t know!


Later after we decided we had sufficiently cleansed the drain, I heard two GGs discussing my oil ignorance. “How could she not know that?” they said. Then this morning the word had spread to the men of the cul de sac. I was walking and my neighbor pulled up in his car and said, “I heard about you and the grease! You don’t know what to do with grease!!” He then laughed maniacally and drove away.

You know what I’m like? I’m like those people who try out for American Idol who can’t sing but love to do it. I love to cook but I really suck at it. Although I have to say, when it comes to meat, I'm a browning fool! (Yes, it's a verb!)

Even cousinValerie knows more about cooking than me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're not alone friend... i didn't know you couldn't pour oil down the drain! good thing i don't cook much! it seems so strange to pour grease into coffee cans... hmmm. i don't have any of those either since we don't drink coffee - what shall i ever do if i decide to deep fry something??

Anonymous said...

You are too cute, Elsa. Just too cute. :)

Jessi said...

(what happened to the other pic? :) )

We all have to learn the hard way. I did the same thing and clogged the drain in my old apt. I got this drain opener that was like a power shot rocket blaster thing.

I ended up getting the bleach all over my clothes when it backfired. It was a mess. The clog cleared but my clothes were ruined.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Weidman girls did not cook much growing up. I only wanted to be involved if there was cake batter.
What I don't understand is what people do with that can of grease!!

Writinggal said...

I had that same thought about the coffee can because we don't drink coffee either!

Oh, and Cul de Sac Carrie sent more pics from last night and I thought that one was better.

Liz said...

I'll have to say Daniel knows ALL about the "not pouring grease down the drain" thing and he does it anyways!! He just gets the water REALLY Hot and pours the grease (usually from bacon or sausage) down there anyways and chases it w/ super hot water and soap. I'm fine w/ it as long as when the plumber bill comes along one of these days he remembers that it's his fault. I mean, he does most of the cooking anyways, so he probably couldn't even pin it on me if he tried! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll give you a coffe can for your future use. Then you just throw the can in the trash. You have to live and learn that's all.