Search This Blog

Friday, April 07, 2006

Kick Me, Katie



She brightens our mornings, touches our hearts and even convinces us to let strangers probe our buttocks. She’s Katie. And we’re bummed that she’s leaving Today.

At our house Katie is a morning fixture (like Kashi and poops). In fact, when the alarm sounds the first thing Frank says is, “Is the remote on your side? We gotta watch Katie.” That’s right. We don’t even call it the Today Show. We just call it Katie.

We even discuss what she’s wearing: “Oh, she’s doing that whole Asian thing again,” Frank will say. Or I’ll yell, “Get in here! Katie’s got on fishnet panty hose!”

Once I even got into an argument at a restaurant about the greatness that is Katie. This girl said, “I hate her. She so biased.” I said I liked her and that I thought she was a good journalist and the girl said, “Good journalist? She’s so liberal.” I began ranting about what a great mom she is and how she’s turned the tragedy of her husband’s death into significant progress in colon cancer research, not to mention she knows how to ask the hard questions in interviews. It got pretty heated. I don’t like it when people dis Katie.

I’ll miss her toothy grin, the way she awkwardly flirts with that “where in the world” guy and her story transitions: “Now, on a much lighter note…”

Sure, I could watch her on the CBS Evening News but you know what that means? I’d have to watch the news. Who am I? My parents?

Now the question is, will we still watch the show formerly known as Katie? Will we start calling it Meredith? Nah. And by the way, I can’t believe they picked Meredith Vieira for this gig. She’s older than Katie! This is the same way I felt when Pope Benedict stepped in. Why not get some fresh, young blood in there?

You can imagine Frank’s disappointment when I had to explain to him that it wasn’t “the hot girl from The View.” He was appalled: “What? Why wouldn’t they pick that Survivor girl?” I had to then teach him the difference between a TV personality and an actual journalist. I’m not sure he understood because by the end of the conversation he was lobbying for Kristin Cavallari: “Think about it. She’s got the SAME INITIALS as Katie.”

So Katie, we wish you well. I know it was a good career move for you and as your biggest fans, we’ll always support you. And as Frank says: “Guess we get to sleep in a little later now.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not too upset that Katie is leaving... I think it's time for her to go. but I'm totally disappointed with their choice for her replacement - Meredith from the View! Now, I'll have to switch to GMA or something...

Anonymous said...

I'm worried about the transition. I have my morning routine down which includes Katie and Matt from 7 am until 8:35. I'm a Katie fan. I think she's a good journalist, bubbley (which you need in the am), a fashionista, etc. When Ann or Campbell step in for her, it's just not the same and my morning chakras are out of whack. It'll be a rough transition for me.

BTW - I never noticed the flirting with the WITW guy, but I ALWAYS notice it with David Gregory. I thought there was something going on between the 2 of them until I saw he was married.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you were gonna post on this, E!

Writinggal said...

Ohmygosh we always say that she flirts with David Gregory. I think he's creepy-looking but I think she goes for the tall dudes. One day it might be David Gregory and Meredith and then I'll really have to tune out.

Anonymous said...

Since I am a GMA person, I will stay that way now for sure. I think Meredith is a strange choice.
Not sure who they should have picked though.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing about David! Too funny.

I'm not happy about the Meredith nonsense. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the mornings. I bothers me to even think about it!